MAC OS X: Forum

When I try to delete items in Trash, I get error msg to shut down computer by holding the ON button.

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zeno Pierre
When I try to delete items in Trash, I get error msg to shut down computer by holding the ON button.
on Jan 31, 2010 at 4:16:14 am

Hi, All

I was working on several large video projects in FCP and my space became limited on both my internal drives ( Hitachi and Macintosh)_

I moved files to the Trash bin and when I hit delete, the screen went grey, the fans went into high gear, and an error message came up stating that I'm required to shut down the computer by holding down the ON button. (Crash)

Is this is "blues singin' time" or is there hope to this scenario. Is there a way to run a diagnostics test to find if there is a hardware problem? or software problem? or even a computer history that I can pull up that shows what led up to the crash? (...like in iDVD)

I reinstalled MAC OS X v 10.4.11 but I'm getting the same results.

Processor: 4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC C5
Memory 4,5 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Thanking All in advance.

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
Re: When I try to delete items in Trash, I get error msg to shut down computer by holding the ON button.
on Jan 31, 2010 at 6:56:54 pm

Sounds like a kernel panic. Open Disk Utility and Verify Disk and Repair Disk Permissions on the appropriate drive(s), and see if that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
Re: When I try to delete items in Trash, I get error msg to shut down computer by holding the ON button.
on Feb 1, 2010 at 1:24:30 am

Yeah, I tried that.

I think I got problems!

I set up some time at one of the apple stores.

I hope that helps.

Thanx for the response.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
Re: When I try to delete items in Trash..Bomb-proof fix
on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:24:13 am

I've seen this and related deletion problems.
Take the problematic file/document out of the trash and put it on the desk-top, then get a hold of another Mac, start this and attach via fire-wire to your machine.
Then start yours in target mode (by holding down the T key), it will now appear as a fire-wire drive on the donor Mac desktop. Open it, drag the troublesome file/s to the trash and empty!

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 14, 2010 at 5:18:07 am

Were you using your system drive to store some of this media? If so, bad idea. Before matters get worse, boot from another drive or even the original install disc and back up your user account and whatever else can't be replaced. Then as was suggested, complete the trashing. When you are ready, wipe both drives clean, reformat, do a clean install of the OS and then reinstall your apps. Disk Warrior might help restore order if the data is not readable.

In the future, always give FCP ample room on the media drive. Store your project files on your system drive and all media and renders and so forth on your media drive. It's also not a bad practice to backup important media files and reformat the media drive to keep it clean. You might want to invest in an external raid to use as a media drive.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:17:21 pm

Hey, thanks guys!

I ended up using an external OS drive to delete trash and regain space perimeters.

I usually keep my drive space down to a minimum. This time one of my external hard drives crashed and I was so busy tying to salvage data and files, I got carried away and forgot about space management!

This is my third Western Digital hard drive that has crashed over a 5 year period!

I'm definitely switching to something else! (Iomega)?! My G-Raid is making strange noises and I think its about to go.

It isn't so bad that they peter out, it's just that they take everything with it!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]