MAC OS X: Forum

FINAL CUT... SNOW LEOPARD and going back to LEOPARD

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew WallFINAL CUT... SNOW LEOPARD and going back to LEOPARD
by on Dec 28, 2009 at 11:39:48 pm

A few months ago I upgraded our edit suites to Final Cut Studio 3. While I was at it I upgraded to Snow Leopard. (Yes this was incredibly stupid but local mac dealer sales guy convinced me to do so.) Problem is we do lots of Sony XDCam and the glitches are still not fixed by Sony.

Over Christmas I went back to Leopard. The migration has been a bit of a disaster. Specifically I can't get Final Cut to work at all! Reinstalled Studio 3 and it still doesn't work.

Anyone know anything about going back to Leopard and why I can't make Final Cut work?

Desperate....

AW

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: FINAL CUT... SNOW LEOPARD and going back to LEOPARD
by on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:38:02 am

[Andrew Wall] "Over Christmas I went back to Leopard. The migration has been a bit of a disaster. Specifically I can't get Final Cut to work at all! Reinstalled Studio 3 and it still doesn't work. "

As it would all your preferences and everything are now set for snow leopard to read them not for older versons of the OS.

[Andrew Wall] "Anyone know anything about going back to Leopard and why I can't make Final Cut work? "

Sorry but your going to have to COMPLETELY erase your system and start from scratch not migrating a thing if you want to go back to 10.5

FCS3 runs perfect on 10.6 did Im betting that when you moved to the new FCS and the new OS that you did not do the recommended erase and install of the OS and clean install of the FCS. Not doing that can definitely cause problems.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: FINAL CUT... SNOW LEOPARD and going back to LEOPARD
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 1:24:52 am

As a rule before any major upgrade we simply Carbon Copy clone our hard drive then do the install. If things go wrong I have a very recent working backup of my exact internal drive. Just did the same thing you did with Snow Leopard and I went back in about 10 minutes changing the drive back to the backup.

Make this your rule in the future and you'll have no problems going back.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew WallRe: FINAL CUT... SNOW LEOPARD and going back to LEOPARD
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 5:40:39 pm

Thanks! I did copy most everything... but the migration with all the little details didn't quite work.

A lesson to be learned.

AW

Return to posts index

Paul CroweRe: FINAL CUT... SNOW LEOPARD and going back to LEOPARD
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 8:30:24 am

Hi RIch. I'm looking at doing this also. How did this upgrade path go for you?

I'm looking to use CCC to create a bootable replication onto a FWDrive...

Tell me, did you then erase (using apples disk utility?) your home drive and do a totally clean reinstall of everything OS, FCP suite etc, etc?

That seems to be best practice. And if there is an issue with the new set up, what would you do then?

How do you get the CCC copy back onto your home drive if you decide not to upgrade to SL? Or do you just reinstal the older OS and reinstall FCP etc?

Any tip tricks and comments most welcome?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]