MAC OS X: Forum

Data Recovery 3! I Need Help

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melvin Royster
Data Recovery 3! I Need Help
on Dec 20, 2009 at 8:09:15 am

I've searched the previous post, and couldn't find a direct solution to everything I've tried. I'm new to the Mac world, but I think I have a good handle on it. Anyway, I work with FCP and I have my capture, and render files going to my USB External hard drive. After working on a projects for days, I started up my system only to see that the computer didn't recognize my hard drive "disk insertion error." So I selected ignore, and tried to reboot many times all selecting Ignore. Then I thought to try the initialize button, so I hit it, but I didnt' feel comfortable doing anything after that so I stopped, before it could initialize in Disk Utility. Did I mess anything up there?

Still not getting anywhere, I purchased Data Rescue 3, and ran the deep scan. It started finding many MP3 files up there that I didn't have. But nonetheless, it found some but not all of my files. I made a folder and had the files emptied into that folder. Now what?

I thought it would fix my hard drive, or at least allow Disk Utility to repair it, or even erase it and reformat it, nothing worked. I'm still stuck with a hard drive that doesn't work. Not to mention, the files that the software recovered cannot be played, I get the error message "not a movie file," when I know it is.

Did I do everything wrong or what? Can I still take my drive to a recovery company, even after I tried to erase and repair the drive through disk utility? I can't seem to get it right. This is the second drive I lost on this Mac Book Pro.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Data Recovery 3! I Need Help
on Dec 20, 2009 at 5:07:31 pm

[Melvin Royster] "I purchased Data Rescue 3, and ran the deep scan."

[Melvin Royster] "I thought it would fix my hard drive, or at least allow Disk Utility to repair it, or even erase it and reformat it, nothing worked"

That program is NOT a program that does any form of repair, it attempts to recover data only.

If the drive does not even show with the option to reformat then it is most likly a physical problem and the drive needs to be replaced.

[Melvin Royster] "files that the software recovered cannot be played, I get the error message "not a movie file," when I know it is. "

That will happen if the files become corrupted. The part of the file that tells it what kind of file it is has been damaged.

[Melvin Royster] "Can I still take my drive to a recovery company, even after I tried to erase and repair the drive through disk utility?"

You could try but your chances are dramatically lower of getting anything and the cost is dramatically higher.

[Melvin Royster] "I work with FCP and I have my capture, and render files going to my USB External hard drive."

Now this is completely unrelated to your questions, but USB is not in any way recommended for video work, it just cannot sustain the constant data speeds that are required for video editing.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Melvin Royster
Re: Data Recovery 3! I Need Help
on Dec 20, 2009 at 9:47:20 pm

Thanks Zane. So I realized that I stopped the deep scan from my laptop and moved the drive to my company's Mac Pro, the scan went quicker than ever from my laptop. So hopefully that has something to do with the files being corrupted. What do you think?

Also, after I tried to trouble shoot everything myself by initializing the drive, trying to repair it, and trying to erase it, I gave the deep scan another try on the Mac Pro (this was all before I read your post), and its taking longer than ever. Seems like its finding more files, but over night, its only up to 2.35%. Is that normal? How long should the scan take? Its a 500 Gb hard drive.

So I should also try to get a different external case, preferrably a Firewire 800? Is there anyway it can be the external case and not the actual drive? This is my second drive that crashed.

Thanks for your help.

Melvin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]