MAC OS X: Forum

OS 10.5 Update Advice

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam WhiteOS 10.5 Update Advice
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:44:34 pm

Hello
I am looking for some advice regarding all newer OS 10.5 updates. I recently received a copy of iWork '09 that I would like to install on my MBP. The software says it requires OS 10.5.6 or newer. I currently work with OS 10.5.4 and use Pro apps like Final Cut Studio, Adobe CS4 suite, and others. I have read various posts and articles on the internet talking about bugs with some of the OS 10.5 updates causing issues with some pro apps. Specifically with Final Cut Pro and Quicktime. Can anyone give some insight into which of the newer updates available might be the best choice? (10.5.6, 10.5.7, 10.5.8) Which updates are buggy and which ones are stable? Plus is there a "proper" method I should use to update as opposed to just running the normal Software Update utility? Should I use an update combo pack? If so, what is the difference and why? I am working with an Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo with OS 10.5.4, FCP 6.0.4 and Quicktime 7.5.5. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!
-Adam White

Return to posts index

Pasi KoivistoRe: OS 10.5 Update Advice
by on Dec 4, 2009 at 1:37:34 am

Well, the bugs usually surface with new OS updates but the bugs genereally get fixed with smaller updates to the pro apps. And since 10.5.8 has been around for a while most of the bugs should be fixed.

I believe 10.5.6, QT 7.5.5 and FCP 6.0.5 to be a stable combination.

I always use Combo updates on my FCP machine because there is a difference between combo and "delta" updates. The delta updates only contain differences between the original file and the updated file where as the combo update contains the complete new file. This helps with problems caused by a original file not being in the shape that the installer expects. Say a 3d party software changed something, disk permissions not being as they should etc.

If you're really serious about doing it the right way I would start of by repairing the boot disk with Disk Utility, then repairing disk permissions, then boot the computer into safe mode (holding down the shift key while the computer boots up) and then applying the combo update. Of course you should have downloaded the Combo update before booting into safe mode as stuff like AirPort gets turned off in a safe boot.

All this said, I am using 10.5.8, QT 7.6.4 with FCP 6.0.6 wihtout any problems.

Return to posts index

Adam WhiteRe: OS 10.5 Update Advice
by on Dec 4, 2009 at 12:07:09 pm

Thanks for the detailed info! That's exactly what I was looking for.
-Adam White

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]