MAC OS X: Forum

anybody using SSD in a macbook pro fro real world video work?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wayne granzinanybody using SSD in a macbook pro fro real world video work?
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:11:55 am

considering a SSD in my new macbook pro. but as i understand they are way better at read the read process than they are at writing.

i wonder how this relates to live capture - with on location for instance. or maybe P2 transfers...

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: anybody using SSD in a macbook pro fro real world video work?
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:16:18 am

Well considering it is never recommended to edit off of your system drive I would not suggested doing it.

Always use an external.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Micah McDowellRe: anybody using SSD in a macbook pro fro real world video work?
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:03:24 pm

Here's an interesting thought... you can mount a second internal drive in a Macbook using this mounting adapter. Apparently you can even set it up as a mini RAID.

Of course it's a bit impractical unless using an external HD isn't an option and you don't need your Superdrive with you, obviously. But, if all you use the Macbook for is On Location and transfers, this might be a sweet, very mobile, and slightly crazy setup.

Return to posts index

Paul BusseyRe: anybody using SSD in a macbook pro fro real world video work?
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:16:16 pm

Just checked out the idea from Micah McDowell and that would probably be your best bet if you don't mind tinkering with your Mac book Pro, at the moment there is a free case that ships with the new drive that you put your removed 'Superdrive' in to and don't loose the use of the CD/DVD. Looks like a really good idea, no idea if it works though.
Personally I have a 2TB Quad GTech external drive connected using a Sonnet Tempo SATA Pro Expresscard/34. This setup is very fast at doing most things you would want to do 'on the road', I've been using Apple Pro Res 422 media (that was originally 'log & transfered' from RED files) and is faultless, no lag/ freezes. The one downside of this setup is the fact that you loose the use of the Card 34 slot on the Pro but there are ways round this.

buss69

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]