MAC OS X: Forum

kernal panic

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
kernal panic
on Nov 20, 2009 at 9:39:24 pm

I guess I WAS one of the lucky ones, been using MAC since the days before my MAC SE20, more recently G4 then G5 and have never had a kernal panic till now. I'm now on a, see specs below, and have had 3 kernal panics, 2 just now as I attempt to load Snow Leopard. The first just after I loaded Snow Leopard but before I could restart and now another on my first round of updates. This computer has been running very smooth since the very first kernal panic about 4 months ago and just after it was purchased, that one was most likely caused due to 3rd party hardware of which has been running smoothly.

After the first kernal panic earlier today I ran disc warrior and rebuilt directories on each hard drive including the system drive. Should I do that again or am I dealing with other issues?

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4TB internal, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: kernal panic
on Nov 21, 2009 at 7:10:55 am

[Michael Harrington] "After the first kernal panic earlier today I ran disc warrior"

it is a absolute MUST to make sure that your version of Disk Warrior is up to date if you plan on using it with Snow Leopard.

If you use an old version of DW on a new OS it can cause more problems then you had before.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Nov 21, 2009 at 2:09:05 pm

Yes, I'm using most current version DW, 4.2.

Any insight to what's causing the problem? When I looked at the KP log it included FCP notes which is weird cause I hadn't launched FCP. I was getting ready to update my FCP 6 to 7 so once I got the system up again I updated FCP 7. I'll run DW again and see what happens.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4TB internal, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:39:48 am

Try doing a complete erase and install of the OS and FCS software.

Many kernal panics are caused by the OS and other software getting jacked up somehow.

Return to posts index

Matthew Chiumento
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:49:31 pm

Haven't made the jump to the Leopard of Snow just yet. Thank God!
Maybe apple will finally chew their food before swallowing.

Heard alot of problems with with external drives, I had the same and disk warrior did fix the problem but on 10.5.7. However with Snow Bunny who knows. Maybe run it a couple of times, sometimes it just stops on my machine and I have re-run the program

Had several friends loose access to external drives as well as speed after making the switch.

Before you go re-installing your entire systems, losing money, so you cant afford the next OS and the next Hardware device to go along with it, try moving all of you data off one drive to another, run disk utility or a raid utility. You might need to erase your drive but it beats re installing every application, thats if you have another hardrive?

http://www.alsoft.com/DIskWarrior/support.html

Good luck

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:23:08 pm

I reckon I was one of the not so SMART ones and did not back up prior to installing Snow Leopard and FCP7. When I upgraded both on my laptop without incident I figured all would be safe on my desktop system. In reality it was not that big of a deal, I bought the new desktop system without any particular job in sight and as luck would have it I landed a sizable project, 5TB HDV ProRes for a 2-hr DVD project and for the past 4 months the new system worked very good. I always figured when the project was complete I'd clean install just as a matter of practice.

When I started getting the KP's and started reading about the problems and recommended best practices I learned the errors of my ways. I'm not particularly busy at this time so the whole ordeal happened at a good time and has taught me a thing or 2 about cloning system drives, searching the COW for problems before one is created, etc.

I completed a clean install yesterday within about 8-hours, also used the time to do the same on my old G5 I'm selling and spent time on the COW reading about best practices.

As it turns out the KP's were due to unsupported Snow Leopard PCI card. I'm not using that drive right now and since I'm on the road for a few weeks I'll wait and see if the manufacture comes up with a Snow Leopard driver, otherwise I'll purchase Apples PCI Card.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 24, 2009 at 7:15:56 pm

[Matthew Chiumento] "Heard alot of problems with with external drives"

[Matthew Chiumento] "Had several friends loose access to external drives as well as speed after making the switch. "

No offense to your friends but I'm betting any of those issues are because of incompatibility with 3rd party esata cards. And its their own fault for not checking the compatibility of those cards and there drivers BEFORE moving to snow leopard.

Poor planing often leads to problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]