MAC OS X: Forum

Finder folder/file structure export

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Hill
Finder folder/file structure export
on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:17:21 pm

Is it possible to export the file/folder structure of a drive to a searchable database? Just to give you and idea of what I'm looking for, essentially is creating a searchable database of all the folders and files on a drive with the folder structure in tact but without any of the file sizes. Essentially just all aliases. To get a visual, picture creating a Burn Folder in Finder. If you drag a series of files/folders to it, the folder structure is in tact but they're all 44kb aliases. Even if you remove/delete the original content the alias seems to remain. This might be a last ditch solution for me, but something about it doesn't seem stable or permanent.

I hope that makes sense. I've honestly never used a database before, but I'm interested in starting as we're going through our production storage and moving all our old content to drives that we'll fill up and pull and shelve and we'd like a searchable database in case we need to find content that exists on those pulled drives.

Return to posts index

Chad Seidel
Re: Finder folder/file structure export
on Oct 11, 2010 at 2:19:43 am

Did you ever get this going? I am currently very interested in doing the exact same thing.

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:24:33 am

Unfortunately, no. And to add insult to injury the Burn Folders solution I thought I had becomes useless once the drive it was sourcing from is removed. All you have is the parent folder structure but none of the children. I haven't found another solution so currently we have no database of our archive drives. If you find something, please let me know. :)

Cheers,

Chris

Return to posts index

Jim Butler
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:24:20 pm

Stumbled across this post today looking for a solution. Found one that isn't too bad. If you own Roxio Toast, it ships with a program called DiscCatalogMaker RE. You can scan any folder on your hard drive and then print or export PDFs of the contents.

I was looking for a way to export file structure to send to a partner we are sharing files with so we could discuss in a meeting. Worked pretty well.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]