MAC OS X: Forum

Can someone please tell my why apple is no longer granting Duel-System Adapters a driver?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Sonnenfeld
Can someone please tell my why apple is no longer granting Duel-System Adapters a driver?
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:36:30 pm

Dear Apple,

I am writing this on the OS X forum because this is a direct issue of the new Snow Leopard Upgrade.

I use Panasonic P2 and Final Cut Pro on my 15.4 inch unibody Macbook Pro (October 2008). For a year I have been uploading my P2 footage via the Duel Adapter and now with the introduction of Snow Leapard, not only are the majority of Panasonic's P2 hardware incompatible, but the Duel Adapter has no hope. Unfortunately, it was the only efficient hope that we MBP/FCP/P2 users had.

After calling Duel and finding out that it was Apple who will not write a Duel-Systems driver for Snow Leopard, and will not allow Duel to write one for themselves, I became very frustrated. I searched the web to try to find an alternative only to discover that the Duel truly was the only adapter that could read P2 over the Mac platform. Plenty can do it on a PC, but only Duel works for Mac. So now I'm holding off on upgrading to Snow Leopard for what will apparently be an indefinite amount of time. I suppose I could get a PC and run Media Composer. I have the software already. But honestly, I like my MacBook Pro and I like Final Cut. I don't want to go to a PC.

Really, I would just like an explanation from Apple as to why this has happened. There are a lot of very frustrated Macbook Pro/Duel Adapter users out there who are not only left in the dark but are now left in the dust. And maybe, if Apple is feeling really generous, an efficient and equal alternative.

Sincerely,
Matthew Sonnenfeld

Panasonic HPX170 P
Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Can someone please tell my why apple is no longer granting Duel-System Adapters a driver?
on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:26:13 am

[Matthew Sonnenfeld] "After calling Duel and finding out that it was Apple who will not write a Duel-Systems driver for Snow Leopard, "

Its not apps responsibility or job to make drivers for 3rd party devices, so it sounds like they are just making excuses so they don't look bad.

[Matthew Sonnenfeld] "Really, I would just like an explanation from Apple as to why this has happened"

Like I said its really not an Apple thing, as that product is not an Apple product.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Can someone please tell my why apple is no longer granting Duel-System Adapters a driver?
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:58:35 am

Dear Zane,

I want to thank you for your response. I know that reasonably upset people are not easy to deal with and I just want to reiterate that I appreciate your answers.

Best,
Matthew Sonnenfeld

Panasonic HPX170 P
Unibody Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
Avid Media Composer
The College of WIlliam and Mary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]