MAC OS X: Forum

Video Card Burnout - no warranty

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael KrupnickVideo Card Burnout - no warranty
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:16:16 pm

I had a video accelerator card failure back in December that made my workstation useless ... couldn't even read email, let alone do any serious video processing. This was an ATI Radeon 9800 installed in my G5 by my trusted local shop, Melrose Mac. Since it lasted 4 years, I was bummed, but willingly took the whole hit ($500+) to replace it, since it was waranteed for 3 years. The new card lasted only 8 months before it, too, burned out. The shop expects me to pay fully for a new card, because Apple only guarantees their installations for 90 days, despite the ATI 3-year statement. This wrinkle never was mentioned or written. And why should their business arrangements with their OEMs be of any concern to a customer?

I'm wondering what others here think about this, what experiences they may have had, and what suggestions they might have to resolve such conflicts. I'd hate to see what began as a good relationship go sour over this, but I feel that the shop has a responsibility to assure repairs they conduct and accept payment for endure for the reasonable amount of time one would expect. Can I look forward to hardware that won't last more than 3 months before I'm back on the downtime/replacement merry-go-round?

MaK

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: Video Card Burnout - no warranty
by on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:18:49 pm

Unfortunately it looks like ATI wont help you either as per their policy: http://support.amd.com/us/warranty/Pages/Non-BoxedOriginalEquipmentManufact...

I think your only chance is to put pressure on the reseller but you might be out of luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]