MAC OS X: Forum

Quicktime WTF!?!?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Quicktime WTF!?!?
on Sep 12, 2009 at 5:33:00 am

So I upgraded to Snow and got QT X yay then when i go to export....nothing there is no option to do so...I can't even register to Pro with QT X, so I eased it and download Qt 7pro, and now its acts all funny slow crappy, and I cant open QT preferences, What the hell is going on?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Quicktime WTF!?!?
on Sep 12, 2009 at 4:49:14 pm

[Greg Burke] "So I upgraded to Snow and got QT X yay then when i go to export....nothing there is no option to do so"

That is exactly how QT X is supposed to me.

[Greg Burke] "so I eased it and download Qt 7pro"

ohh probably not a good Idea to just delete it.

[Greg Burke] "and now its acts all funny slow crappy, and I cant open QT preferences"

Thats because the old version is not meant to be installed that way.

[Greg Burke] "What the hell is going on?"

Well to put it rather bluntly you kinda screwed things up. To get the QT X that really should be there back you are going to have to reinstall the OS. When you do that you can go under options on the install and choose to install QT7 also.

This information about QT X and QT 7 in Snow Leopard is easily available and if you rely on QT as much as it sounds like you really should have looked into the QT changes with Snow Leopard before installing it.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Mike roberts
on Sep 13, 2009 at 7:01:39 pm

Yep. I rely on QT heavily cause I'm too lazy to deal with compressor most of the time...

QT X works like a charm to make web/device versions, QT7pro works exactly like it used to for everything else...

Return to posts index

Jonah Lefkowitz
on Oct 6, 2009 at 5:39:20 am

WTF indeed. I'm not really sure what they're doing with this crippled QT X pos.
It has a no export, no switch to frame counter, no final cut compatibility mode. And it's not like Snow Leopard can read your mind to know when you want these feature, which is always!

So it seems we're left with the option of installing Quicktime 7 into the Utilities folder (nonsense) and dragging MOVs into it when you want to use 'pro' features.
As an added bonus, FlipforMac WMV doesn't install correctly into QT X, only 7, so you can count on never getting to double click a wmv file to watch it again without a "Quicktime Player must be installed to run this application" error.

I think that between Snow Leopard and Adobe CS4, the word upgrade should be redefined as something which reduces functionality and performance.

I've been surfing other forums for a real fix for this. If you find one, please post it here. I'll do the same, but I'm starting to worry. This 'upgrade' really cripples my workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]