MAC OS X: Forum

Full Name of Desktop files

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marjonneke Grech
Full Name of Desktop files
on Sep 8, 2009 at 12:49:26 am

The files on my desktop now only show 2 letters, an elipse (...) and another 2 letters. Does anyone know how to show the entire file name under the icon? I'm running Leopard on Mac OS-X Macbook Pro. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Full Name of Desktop files
on Sep 9, 2009 at 11:36:00 pm

You could try changing the size of the type used to title the icons.
Under main menu, Finder>View>Show View Options (CMD-J). Pulldown menu allows sizing down to 10 pt. I am not aware of a method to allow long names under icons, though there could well be one or more.
Or, open a Finder window, select Desktop Folder and use List or Column view which would display full-length names for all items.
As a last resort, rename the items using abberviations.

Return to posts index

Marjonneke Grech
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:13:54 am

Thanks - but unfortunately, changing the size of the font doesn't change the way it displays - with 2 letters on either side of a series of dots. I can see the files in Finder (which is how I have to view them now) but I want to be able to see their names on my desktop.

Still looking for the solution to this.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:16:19 am

Try trashing the desktop prefs,
home>library>preferences>com.apple.desktop.plist
drag to trash, don't empty, restart.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Marjonneke Grech
on Sep 11, 2009 at 11:07:45 am

Great idea - but no... no change. Do you think I should trash the preferences again - and this time empty the trash? I say that because most of my preferences were still intact.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Sep 12, 2009 at 4:58:26 am

[Marjonneke Grech] "Great idea - but no... no change. Do you think I should trash the preferences again - and this time empty the trash? I say that because most of my preferences were still intact.
"

No need to empty trash, on restart new prefs are created. You can control click on the new prefs and color-code them to distinguish them. Repair permissions, trash the pref again and restart.
Next I would suggest you get the utility called Disk Warrior, if this doesn't work, then back up your data, mail etc. and reinstall the OS.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Fred Hare
on Sep 12, 2009 at 1:49:09 pm

hi,

Desktop View -> Show View Options -> reset Grid spacing slider to max and all will be OK.

regards Fred

Return to posts index

Marjonneke Grech
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:00:08 am

YES! Thank you sooooo much. Seems so easy when you know, doesn't it? Thanks for your help. Very appreciated. Cheers and thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]