MAC OS X: Forum

1 or 2 Graphics Cards? FCS & Motion performance?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell1 or 2 Graphics Cards? FCS & Motion performance?
by on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:49:31 pm

Question on graphics cards and speed with Apple apps, i.e. Motion and FCS. My apologies ahead of time that this question has probably been asked a bunch, but I just don't have the time to search the topic. So, responses are greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac Pro and am curious about if its better to spring for the big daddy card like the ATI Radeon HD 4870 or simply buy 2 NVIDIA CeForce GT 120 cards to power my dual display, expanded desktop set up. I'm currently running the ATY Radeon X1900 card with dual displays and notice that with the dual displays, Apple's Motion really takes a hit on performance. I'm also looking to upgrade from 9 gigs of RAM to 16 with a new machine to help FCS's performance.

I guess my question is, is it better to run each display on its own card or run both from the better Radeon HD card? Which set up will give me the best performance with FCS and Motion? And if running 2 cards and each display on its own card, can I still expanded the desktop vs. having to mirror them?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Andrew CommiskeyRe: 1 or 2 Graphics Cards? FCS & Motion performance?
by on Sep 7, 2009 at 4:36:26 pm

I do not know about FCS 3 (FCP 7) but the previous versions can address one video card. It is possible that 2 cards could crash FCP.
Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]