MAC OS X: Forum

How to do a clean install with Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Downs
How to do a clean install with Snow Leopard
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:35:12 pm

I have searched this forum before posting. I have searched other forums and can't find any info regarding doing a clean install and utilizing 'Time Machine'. Everything I find is for upgrading to Leopard from Tiger without using Time Machine. My preference is to wipe my Hard Drive and upgrade and then import certain files and programs from the Time Machine backup - Is that possible? I am trying to get 'properly' prepared for the upgrade to Snow Leopard. My goal is then to do a clean install of the upgrade to the new Final Cut Suite after upgrading the OS.

Hope this isn't too elementary for this forum. Thanks

Jerry

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
Re: How to do a clean install with Snow Leopard
on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:43:13 pm

Read this forum post by David Roth Weiss:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1050273

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but since you're asking how to do a "clean install" of Leopard, the answer is you don't use Time Machine. For a clean install, you need to reinstall your applications from scratch.

The way most people out there are doing this is to make a clone of the original Leopard drive using CCC or SuperDuper, both of which are free, erasing the drive or buying a new sata drive, and reinstalling from scratch. This is the only way to truly have a clean install. Anything else, you're risking a whole host of issues.

There are a lot of posts right here in the forums about how to do a clean install of leopard, and you'll tend to see the posters that try to do it any other way being frowned upon, and this is really just for your own good.

If you need to reimport documents and photos and such, this won't be an issue, but everything else needs to be fresh.

Return to posts index

Jerry Downs
Re: How to do a clean install with Snow Leopard?
on Sep 1, 2009 at 7:27:53 pm

Craig

Thanks for the response - when you said "If you need to reimport documents and photos and such, this won't be an issue, but everything else needs to be fresh. "

That brings up asnother question - how do I reimport all of my settings and documents? From time machine? from the clone? I want to do the clean install of all of my apps - but getting everything else back on the newly erased drive is what my question is.

Thanks

Jerry

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:58:23 pm

All you need to do is move your old startup disk over to the adjacent sata slot in your mac pro, boot from the new Snow Leopard startup disk, and drag and drop your docs, pictures, etc., between the two volumes. Many of our clients keep their old startup disk on the shelf when they're done, or make a disk image of it, so that should something come up they can easily revert to the old OS.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 6, 2009 at 7:28:24 pm

It should be possible to copy your old Users folder to the new install.
This will keep your fonts, i-utilities content, mailbox etc...
When you make a fresh install of your apps, they will create new preference files...

- No Parking Production -

Finalcut Studio2, Dual G5, Kona 2, ioHD, X-Raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]