MAC OS X: Forum

Snow Leopard and the 1st Gen Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy BisSnow Leopard and the 1st Gen Mac Pro
by on Aug 7, 2009 at 6:59:32 pm

I can't seem to find a straight simple answer to my question... I have a first generation Mac Pro (from Sept. 07) with 2 x DualCore Intel 2.66GHZ Chips, 6gbs Ram, and an ATI X1900XT PCIe Graphics Card (which is failing).

I know that the ATI X1900 will not work with Snow Leopard. I am wondering which Graphics card will be compatible with both Snow Leopard AND the 1st gen Mac Pros...

If there are multiple, which one is best for using with the Pro Apps?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Snow Leopard and the 1st Gen Mac Pro
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 3:35:41 am

I have seen nothing saying that that video card will not work in Snow Leopard.

All that Apple specs page on Snow Leopard says is that OpenCL and QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration requires specific video cards.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Andy BissonnetteRe: Snow Leopard and the 1st Gen Mac Pro
by on Aug 18, 2009 at 9:00:40 pm

Thanks... Yes your right, I meant to ask which cards would support both OpenCL and also work on the 1st Gen Mac Pro (Macpro1,1 Build 8S2167). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Return to posts index

Ketema HarrisRe: Snow Leopard and the 1st Gen Mac Pro
by on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:37:35 pm

I also have a first gen Mac Pro and already upgraded to Snow Leopard. I have the Nvidia GeForce 7300 card, and although everything works, performance is slow. I do not do a lot of gaming, but Expose and spaces animations are really sluggish. If this is a card issue, which is the best card to upgrade to in order to improve performance?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]