MAC OS X: Forum

HELP! One of my Hard drives went "read only" on me!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony PopoloHELP! One of my Hard drives went "read only" on me!
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 6:33:02 am

Hi,
I just upgraded to os 10.5, and when I was done, one of my hard drives (not the startup drive) became "read only". I can access all the files on it, but I can't resave any of them or any new files to that drive!
I did a "get info" on the drive and the permissions are all greyed out with the words "Read only".
How can I change it to "read and write"???
Thanks.
Anthony

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: HELP! One of my Hard drives went "read only" on me!
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 11:32:11 am

Do "Get Info" (CMD-I) on the drive, see if "Ignore permissionas on this drive" is checked.

Return to posts index

Anthony PopoloRe: HELP! One of my Hard drives went "read only" on me!
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 4:13:54 pm

Hi,
At the bottom of the "get info" panel, the "Ignore ownership on this volume" is NOT checked. However, it is also grey-ed out so I can't access that checkbox.
Also, just above that shows a list of names / privileges as follows...

"System"/ read and write
"admin" / read and write
"everyone" / read only

I'm assuming I fall under "everyone" (since I'm " read-only")even though I'm the only user (and admin).

How do I change that privilege?
Thanks
Anthony

Return to posts index

Anthony PopoloI figured it out!
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 6:54:05 pm

Hi Chuck,
thanks for your input.
I still have an OS on the other drive (so I can run a couple of classic programs I still use). I had to startup on that drive (as the admin) and changed the permission for "everyone" to read and write. So when I came back to the new OS, I was able to read AND write ot it.
Thanks for getting me thinking!
Anthony

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: I figured it out!
by on Jul 28, 2009 at 8:29:22 pm

Glad you found a work around. Be sure to repair permissions after any update or when these issues pop up. Since you were/are the admin that should not have been an issue. But I have found that non-system drive permissions can be problematic with OS X, though each update has improved on this.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]