MAC OS X: Forum

Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve CohenSnow Leopard
by on Jul 21, 2009 at 1:46:01 pm

I just want to clarify something.

If I order a new system that comes with Snow Leopard I should not have a problem wiping it clean and installing Leopard on it correct?

I know you are saying why do you want to do that, the reason is we are adding another Final Cut edit suite and currently the other 5 have Leopard on them.

I know an option would be to purchase the upgrade for the other systems, but 3 of them are Power PPC and can not be upgraded to Snow Leopard.

So my options are...

1) Buy 4 new systems with Snow Leopard and upgrade our 2 Intel systems (Very Expensive)

2) Buy 1 new system and downgrade the OS to Leopard until the time we can afford to or are forced to replace the 3 Power PC systems. (Much Less Expensive)

Obviously I would prefer option 1, but I know that management will not approve that so I need to see if option 2 is a viable alternative.

Steve Cohen

Senior Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Snow Leopard
by on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:17:47 pm

The answer is it depends.

First off Snow leopard is not even out yet so any machine that you purchase now will NOT have Snow Leopard on it it will only have Leopard.

It will depend on the machine.

if the model of machine was released before Snow Leopard is released then you can run Leopard on it. BUT the tricky thing is you just cant use any copy of Leopard to install it with. The disks that come with machine are machine specific. So for example if you buy todays current MacPro after Snow Leopard is released you can run Leopard on it but to do so you will need to find someone that will let you use the disks that came with todays current MacPro purchased before Snow Leopard was released.

When a newer model MacPro is released after Snow Leopard that machine will require Snow Leopard more specifically it will require Snow Leopard from the disks that came with it because the build version of Snow Leopard that came with the machine will have been updated to include drivers for the new hardware. And drivers for the new hardware will NOT be included in an older OS like Leopard.

A retail Leopard disk will not work ether as those disks we designed to be used on computer that were released before leopard was and therefor they do NOT have drivers for any hardware that was released after Leopard was.

But because Snow Leopard will not be out for a couple of months now, simply buy your machine before Snow Leopard is released and you will be fine.

So yea it depends.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Steve CohenRe: Snow Leopard
by on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:31:02 pm

Zane;

Thanks for the advice.
We have 2 Intel octocore units that were purchased 1 in Early 2008 and the other in later 2008. Maybe the copy of Leopard that came with either of those would work.

[Zane Barker] "But because Snow Leopard will not be out for a couple of months now, simply buy your machine before Snow Leopard is released and you will be fine."

That is easier said then done. We will be moving to a new facility around November and they do not want to upgrade the 4th edit suite until we move.

So considering that Snow Leopard come on in September and we are moving in November then what ever we purchase at the time of the move will have Snow Leopard installed on it.

Again; thanks for the information. I will have to speak to my GM about this and let her know the options.

Steve Cohen

Senior Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Snow Leopard
by on Jul 22, 2009 at 2:22:36 am

[Steve Cohen] "We have 2 Intel octocore units that were purchased 1 in Early 2008 and the other in later 2008. Maybe the copy of Leopard that came with either of those would work. "

NOPE I thought I made it quote clear that they will not. These machines are NOT the same model of the machines that are currently being sold.

[Steve Cohen] "That is easier said then done. We will be moving to a new facility around November and they do not want to upgrade the 4th edit suite until we move.

So considering that Snow Leopard come on in September and we are moving in November then what ever we purchase at the time of the move will have Snow Leopard installed on it. "

Not only will a machine that you buy in Nov have Snow Leopard on it, this is also a chance that Apple will revise the MacPro line after Snow Leopard is released yet before you purchase. If that happens you will not be able to buy a new computer from Apple that will run Leopard.

If I were you I would explain to the powers that be that if you don't get the machine before Snow Leopard comes out that there is a good chance that the machine will not be able to run the older OS.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Steve CohenRe: Snow Leopard
by on Jul 22, 2009 at 10:23:03 am

Thanks Zane;

I have explained it and now I'm fighting the battle.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]