MAC OS X: Forum

Networking issue

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Networking issue
on Jun 21, 2009 at 5:18:29 pm

I've run two runs of cat-6 cable in my home, each about 100ft, and it seems that neither my cable modem nor my router are sending a signal strong enough to establish an internet connection on either of the two computers 100ft down the line. In other words, whether I go direct from the cable modem to one of the computers, or go from the router to one or both computers, the I am getting a green ethernet light, but still no internet connection.

BTW, as a test I found it will work just fine with a 50ft cable, but that doesn't really help me in this situation. My understanding is that cat-6 cable should be able to handle a run of 300ft on a network, so it seems like 100ft should be a no-brainer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,
David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
Re: Networking issue
on Jun 21, 2009 at 6:02:46 pm

Iknow this may not be at all what you are looking for but have you considered something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/DIGITAL-AMPLIFIER-INTERNET-SIGNAL-BOOSTER/dp/B000F291...

David: my boss and I do boardroom installations and the first thing we check when we have problems like this is the connections to see if they are tight.

Good luck....wish I had some better ideas

Dan

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 21, 2009 at 6:21:39 pm

Thanks Dan, that could be the answer and one I might try. However, I just read a tech support thing on the Internet that said that there should be no difference between a 5ft run and a 300ft run of cat-6 if the connectors are installed properly, so I'm wondering about those now. A friend showed me how to put the connectors on, and I'm wondering if we screwed them up somehow. We used "EZ" connectors, designed to make the connections foolproof, but I'm still suspecting something might be wrong.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Jun 21, 2009 at 6:44:35 pm

I think you are right. We have done connectors before and it is really easy to mess up. Good Luck

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Jun 23, 2009 at 11:19:51 pm

Hmmm...and i've just networked my Mac Pro, G5, a XP PC, and my daughter's wireless laptop. My two Macs and the PC can all read and print from the printer that is USB'ed into the G5, and my daughter's laptop can SEE the printer, but it won't print. ???

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Jake Taylor
on Jun 25, 2009 at 12:18:27 am

David,

My suggestion is to check the wires themselves. Wires could be crossed or bad connectors. It just wouldn't make sense that the 50ft ones work fine.

Best of luck,
Jake Taylor

Jake Taylor
Consultant / Systems Engineer/Apple Technician - Video, Final Cut Pro
Apple Consultants Network - Storage Area Networks

SANtech.TV
17518 Von Karman Ave.
Irvine, CA. 92614

Office: 714-639-3767
Fax: 714-783-7820

jaketaylor@santech.tv
http://www.SANtech.tv

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:03:02 pm

ever fix it? There's a story in the NY Times today about home networking.

Bob C

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Aug 15, 2009 at 10:40:24 pm

Half way. I got my Windows XP to be able to print on the printer that is connected to my Mac G5, but my Mac Pro still won't print...i'll dig around for the NY Times article. Thanks for asking.

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]