MAC OS X: Forum

switched from PC to Mac - help on screen savers

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J. Tad Newberry
switched from PC to Mac - help on screen savers
on Jun 15, 2009 at 4:36:42 pm

While i've been editing with FCP for a few years on my Mac, i just upgraded our family PC to my old G5, so now have 4 other users on that Mac. On a PC, you could set your screensaver to invoke and then when coming out of it, it would take you back to the log on screen. I can't seem to see how to do this with the Mac but i figure there must be a way (isn't there?). There IS a way to make it make you use your own password from the screensaver, but that doesn't help if one person walks away from the computer, their screen saver comes on, and then someone else comes in and wants to use it. Let me know if you have an idea on this. Thanks!

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Power Mac G5 (soon to be Mac Pro something!)
Dual 2 GHz
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Emory Dunn
Re: switched from PC to Mac - help on screen savers
on Jun 30, 2009 at 6:17:05 pm

You almost have it right. What you need to do is enable Fast User Switching.

To do this open System Preference and go to Accounts. Click the lock and then go to Login Options. At the bottom there is an checkbox next to "Enable fast user switching" check it.
Now go back to the main view in System Preferences and go to Security and enable "Require Password to wake from sleep or screen saver".
Now, just activate the screen saver and then move the mouse. There will now be a button that says "switch User" clicking this will bring you back to the login screen.
Hope that helps.

—Emory Dunn

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Jul 1, 2009 at 4:03:08 am

It worked great! Thanks a bunch Emory! I hope i can return the favor sometime...

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Emory Dunn
on Jul 2, 2009 at 6:37:01 pm

No problem. Always trying to help out people who make the switch. Hope you enjoy your new Mac!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]