MAC OS X: Forum

Oh god, did I just kill my hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom MackieOh god, did I just kill my hard drive?
by on Jun 4, 2009 at 6:41:29 pm

Hi there,

Today, I purchased a Western DIgital external hard drive. Knowing that Western Digital has difficulty importing files larger than a certain size onto it, I decided to be an idiot and click ERASE under Disc Utility. Now, the external hard drive is no longer recognized on my iMac and I am concerned that my new hard drive is now a moot device. To bluntly out it, I'm worried I've screwed myself. All I would like to do is get the computer to recognize my hard drive and then allow for a single HFS+ formatted partition on the drive to allow for larger files to be carried onto it.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Matt DoeRe: Oh god, did I just kill my hard drive?
by on Jun 4, 2009 at 8:15:58 pm

Have you tried re-starting the machine without the drive plugged in. Then plugging it in? The drive does not show up in disc utility?

It is not Western Digital drives specifically, it is because they come (most of the time) formatted as FAT32 (4gb file size limit) or NTFS (no native write capability on a mac) which leads to problems, not the drive brand itself.

Return to posts index

Robert MayfieldRe: Oh god, did I just kill my hard drive?
by on Jun 9, 2009 at 5:21:18 pm

I definitely wouldn't say you have screwed yourself. You can always return the drive to the retailer and get another one.

Does the drive show up when it's plugged in and turned on in the Disk Utility? If it does, try to reformat it again. If not, definitely return it. I would also be sure to check all my cables before returning it. Maybe there is just a bad connection through whatever cable you have connecting the drive to the computer.

-Robert

Return to posts index

Alexander KallasRe: Oh god, did I just kill my hard drive?
by on Jul 2, 2009 at 12:44:59 pm

Run a copy of DiskWarrior to recover the directory.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]