Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Firmtek ata xpress card

Owc quad interface raid 0 2tb external drive
Connected to esata card.

Question: in what order should I boot things so it shows up. It’s been hit or miss and it’s getting tedious. At the end of an editing session, I will unmount the drive and then turn it off, but leave it plugged into the esata card. When I turn it back on, sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn’t.

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
Re: esata
on May 20, 2009 at 5:38:54 am

Standard operating procedure for all external storage (other than firewire, of course) is this.

Power up: Boot up the storage, let the disks spin up, THEN boot the machine.

Power down: Power down the machine first (this unmounts the volume properly from the system), and then power down the storage. This goes for all sata, sas, fibre, SAN storage, etc. Any other combination will be met with intermittent success. Don't power down storage while the host is running and expect it to remount when you power it back on without a shutdown.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 20, 2009 at 8:16:24 pm

Thanks, Craig. No doubt that works the best. However, I was hoping to find a way to not have to power down and power on my mac. This is what has been working every time:

To disconnect the array:

Unmount the external array.

Power off the array.

Power off the esata card.

Eject the card.

To mount the array:

plug in the esata card.

Turn on the external array.

It's mounting every time.

Craig

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
on May 20, 2009 at 9:47:26 pm

Nice. Gotta love an ejectable esata card. Glad you found a process that works for you.

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
on May 20, 2009 at 5:39:32 am

Standard operating procedure for all external storage (other than firewire, of course) is this.

Power up: Boot up the storage, let the disks spin up, THEN boot the machine.

Power down: Power down the machine first (this unmounts the volume properly from the system), and then power down the storage. This goes for all sata, sas, fibre, SAN storage, etc. Any other combination will be met with intermittent success. Don't power down storage while the host is running and expect it to remount when you power it back on without a shutdown.

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
on May 20, 2009 at 5:40:24 am

(double post...internet isn't working right tonight)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]