MAC OS X: Forum

OSX refusing to see RAM and hardware

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli RivelinoOSX refusing to see RAM and hardware
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 8:27:38 am

Having heard so many wonderful things about osx and Macs I was expecting something special after spending the best part of £2k on my Mac Pro.

However I've run into some problems straight away;

firstly no matter what I do the Mac refuses to format my seagate drive to any of the mac formats (extended, journaled, etc.). The only format it will accept is Windows FAT32 (I'm raising my eyebrow in a cynical fashion at this point).

Secondly, it refuses to see that there's more than 4gb of RAM inside, this includes the extra 2gb that the shop installed for me and the 2gb that I installed myself.

Finally it refuses to recognise that I've installed a PCI (esata) card, I've tried two, including a Lacie that the shop said they'd installed thousands of times.

Clearly I've sent it back, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice on the matter.

I was going to ask how steve jobs sleeps at night, then I realised I knew the answer; on a big pile of money, surrounded by beautiful women.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "I will get over my manualaphobia, one day at a time."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external Seagate FreeAgent eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Paul DickinRe: OSX refusing to see RAM and hardware
by on Apr 9, 2009 at 9:02:11 pm

[Roli Rivelino] "The only format it will accept is Windows FAT32 "
Hi
Thats because your drive has a FAT32 partition map.
Did you overwrite that by creating a new '1 partition' map in the Partition tab?

[Roli Rivelino] "...and the 2gb that I installed myself."
Are you sure you put it in the correct slots - the Mac Pro has a very specific slot-configuration layout.

[Roli Rivelino] "...it refuses to recognise that I've installed a PCI (esata) card"
A Mac Pro uses PCI-e cards, not the older PCI cards.

Return to posts index

Roli RivelinoRe: OSX refusing to see RAM and hardware
by on Apr 10, 2009 at 8:17:13 am

Thats because your drive has a FAT32 partition map.
Did you overwrite that by creating a new '1 partition' map in the Partition tab?

Yes I did and it didn't work.

Are you sure you put it in the correct slots - the Mac Pro has a very specific slot-configuration layout.

Yes, though I've since returned it to the shop and they have rectified the RAM problem, as 2 gig of the RAM they put in also could not be recognised.

As far as the PCI card's concerned I had it in the wrong slot, easy mistake to make as they all look exactly the same.

I think I'll leave the drive, annoying as it is, but at least it means I can use it on a PC as well, no?

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "I will get over my manualaphobia, one day at a time."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external Seagate FreeAgent eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>