MAC OS X: Forum

Hard Drive Software

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Felt
Hard Drive Software
on Apr 6, 2009 at 11:31:31 pm

Hello!

I am working on a movie with two editors. Since this is a documentary, every week we have tons of new material that needs to go into the film. We also need to make sure both editors have all this new information. So, every week, we need to go through and transfer everything new from DriveA into DriveB.

This is a fairly time consuming task.

What I would like is a piece of cloning software that would compare the two drives, then copy the files that are not on both drives.

Does anyone have an idea into a piece of software that can do this?

Thank you all!
John

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Hard Drive Software
on Apr 7, 2009 at 1:11:59 am

Carbon Copy Cloner

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 7, 2009 at 5:20:37 am

+1 - I use it to back up my MBP's internal hard drive. I have it set to start a fresh backup each month and incrementally backup every week inbetween. Don't forget to try out your backups every-so-often...that way, you know they work.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

John Felt
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:36:12 pm

Thank you for your help. However I am a little unclear. Is "+1" the name of a program? Or are you agreeing with the the previous post?

I took a look at the program and unfortunately I don't think it will meet my needs. The issue is that it only has two options-a whole Backup or an incremental backup where I have to choose the items.

What I am looking for is a cloning program that can do an incremental backup, but where it can intelligently find the programs that are not on one drive and take them from the other direction. The transfer of files may have to go in both directions, so a traditional backup program I don't think would suffice.

Is it possible for Carbon Copy to do this, or does anyone else have any recommendations?

Thank you kindly.
John

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 7, 2009 at 7:17:01 pm

Well, Carbon Copy Cloner is what I was saying "+1" to.

So, is this what you want?

Hard Drive 1 has files "ABC" and "XYZ" on it.
Hard Drive 2 only has "ABC" on it.
You want "XYZ to be on Hard Drive 2 as well but without deleting "ABC".

If you set Carbon Copy Cloner correctly and tell it to do an incremental backup of Hard Drive 1 to Hard Drive 2, it will only copy files onto Hard Drive 2 that are not already there.

Does that make sense?

If you are on Windows XP/Vista, there is a nifty little program called SyncToy that can downloaded for free and can be set up exactly the way you want.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]