MAC OS X: Forum

A common G4 PB battery problem. Who has the solution?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brigitte Kornetzky
A common G4 PB battery problem. Who has the solution?
on Mar 27, 2009 at 9:43:03 pm

The Power Book battery doesn't hold a charge while plugged in.

Lots of people have this problem. The apple forum told us to get another battery. We did. Same problem. (Reset the PMU, and ran the new battery down to zero.)

In our case, it happens while rendering with three daisy chained LaCies.

It's a confusing issue, because there could be many different things involved. Here's the Apple thread; there's a top there and other details: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1950738&tstart=0 , should anyone who knows the solution be so kind as to reply.

Return to posts index

Brigitte Kornetzky
Re: A common G4 PB battery problem. Who has the solution?
on Mar 28, 2009 at 1:16:02 pm

It's a day later. The battery is up to 94 percent while rendering. I understand 95 to 100 percent is acceptable. Problem solved(?)

Return to posts index

Brigitte Kornetzky
on Mar 30, 2009 at 11:08:45 am

No, it's still bad (with the new battery from Apple in Amsterdam). The battery meter went down to 37 percent while rendering last night.

The "clicking" noise, described earlier as a hard drive noise, has come back in force. However, it's more of a buzzing noise than a clicking noise -- almost definitely not from the hard drive. I'll try to get around to confirming that. It is the original disk.

The mouse (and track pad) causes yet a different buzzing noise, on both of the USB ports. The rest is detail on that: This is the original mouse, which came with the G4. We'll swap that out soon, and eliminate that variable. On the other hand it makes the same noise with nothing in the USB ports and using the track pad. Perhaps we'll hold off on buying new parts. Afterall, in some parts of the world, they say that a real mechanic doesn't need any parts.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 30, 2009 at 4:51:01 pm

[Brigitte Kornetzky] "The battery meter went down to 37 percent while rendering last night. "

Well based on that alone, no one can say that it is not perfectly normal.

Rendering is a processor intense thing (especially on a old G4 laptop with only one processor) and anytime the processor is doing heavy work it will use more battery power.

Also you never said how long you were running the computer from the battery so as far I we know the battery went down to 37% in a perfectly normal time period?

Keep in mind that the battery technology used on the old G4 laptops is nothing like it is today, so your battery is never going to run as long as the battery in my new 17" Unibody MBP.

Also remember that by default when running from a battery that the Mac OS purposely reduces the performance of the machine to give you better battery life. For that reason I NEVER render or do any other intense work from the battery because the computer throttles back the horse power so to say when running from the battery.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Brigitte Kornetzky
on Mar 30, 2009 at 6:47:12 pm

THE G4 IS PLUGGED INTO a UPS which is plugged into THE WALL ALL OF THE TIME. WE WOULD NEVER RENDER RUNNING ONLY ON THE BATTERY. Voltage from the wall plug never drops. Voltage never rises more than 2 percent above the target.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 30, 2009 at 7:17:31 pm

Brigitte first of please calm down using caps like that is like yelling.

The fact that the computer is plugged in is vary important information and should have been included in the original question. When attempting to help via the internet, the only information that I can go off of is the information that you give me because I cannot see your computer. Now if I missed that information then I do apologize, and a simple reminder of what you said is all that is needed.

When ever a laptop is draining the battery while plugged in it is going to ether be caused by the power cable not providing enough power to the computer or the computer not accepting enough power from the power adapter.

One thing that I have seen that is an easy mistake to make is using the wrong power adapter with the computer. PowerBooks use a 65W power adapter, if you mistakenly use a power adapter from an iBook that is a 45W power adapter it will not provide the computer will enough power to run and so the computer will supplement its power needs by using the battery. The same issue happens when using a MacBook power adapter on a MacBook Pro.

If you are using the right power adapter then it might be a bad adapter. In that case test it with another power adapter.

If another power adapter does not solve it then it is going to be a hardware problem on the computer itself and you will need to take it to an authorized service center for repair. And depending on the cost of repair it is your choice whether or not you want to put the money into repairing an older machine or put it toward the purchase of a new machine.

Post back and let me know what the issue ended up being.

Return to posts index

Brigitte Kornetzky
on Mar 31, 2009 at 7:44:21 am

CAPS were used only to simplify reading, since most of us have little time for this sort of thing. I notice only now that this window uses HTML and not plain text.

Above, there is a link to the Apple site, where we have posted the same thread. There is much more detail there, including, that we are plugged into a UPS backup.

As for the possibility that there is not enough juice (amps or a voltage drop) on the power cable: I checked that several weeks ago, per suggestion of an information sheet found on the Apple web site. The higher voltage cable checked out with an ohm meter. The other wasn't practical to test, so it was only visually inspected. In short, that question has been, mostly, checked. ...Sorry, I just don't have time now to go back into this detail for detail, without better prospects of finding a solution.

Return to posts index

Brigitte Kornetzky
on Apr 2, 2009 at 7:21:59 am

Found it. The wire entering the power adapter from the computer is so hot, you can't touch it. Bad connection. I couldn't test that side with the ohm meter, and visual inspection didn't reveal anything.

Such a classic electrical problem. And intermittent electrical problems always are a headache. That will teach us not to be so rough with wires.

The power meter stays at 99 percent now. It was the right fix.

I wanted to just solder the bad connection, since the converter probably is okay, instead we forked out 100CHF for a new one. In other words, we could have effectively solved the problem with less than a centimeter of tin solder, properly insulated and strengthened, but we paid 179CHF for a new battery (on the advice of an "expert") we don't really need and 100CHF for a converter we probably don't need = 279CHF. For that, we could have bought another 1TB LaCie. We reap what we sow.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 29, 2009 at 1:51:19 am

All batteries where out over time based on your computer being a G4, the thing is at lest 3-4 years old. That is actually a vary good life for a battery. I had a G4 that after 3-4 years the battery only lasted for 10 min tops. Its not that it was a bad battery or anything, it was jut well used and old. The only reason whey it may be common on G4s like you say is that all the G4s out there are older and more likely to have older batteries.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]