MAC OS X: Forum

problem viewing HD Quicktime files

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Schulzeproblem viewing HD Quicktime files
by on Mar 18, 2009 at 4:03:43 pm

When I open a DVCPROHD quicktime file using the quicktime player on my computers that have FCP installed, they open fine and play just like any normal quicktime file.
When I move that same file to a computer that has just a quicktime player, all I see is a black screen and I can hear audio.
I was trying to give some footage to someone so she could preview it for use in her project but we are unable to get them to play on her laptop. I checked and we had the same version of Quicktime.
I even "flattened" the file in quicktime pro but to no avail.

The same happens when we try to import the file into a windows Avid system. I have burned it to a DVD and Avid, also running the same version of quicktime, sees only a white screen with audio.

It has something to do with the fact that they HD files, 720p30 to be exact, I can move DV files all I want.

The only difference I can think of is that the other computers didn't have FCP installed. Any experience with this anyone?

Matt

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: problem viewing HD Quicktime files
by on Mar 19, 2009 at 3:09:44 am

[Matt Schulze] "The only difference I can think of is that the other computers didn't have FCP installed"

Exactly DVC PRO HD is a codec that comes with FCP. The codec is not free so you will have to ether purchase a copy of FCP for the other computer or you can try purchasing the codec herehttp://www.dvfilm.com/raylight/decoder/index.htm I have never tried the codec from that source however.

Your only other option is to convert the file to one that uses a more universal codec.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]