MAC OS X: Forum

Oops I fried the board- Need to replace G4 Hardware...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxwell Federman
Oops I fried the board- Need to replace G4 Hardware...
on Feb 16, 2009 at 4:53:14 am

Hello

I recently fried the board (likely; I may have just burnt out the power supply) of a G4 PowerMac Digital Audio Tower 867mhz model that was running OS9. Inside the Mac on the PCI board are some Video Editing cards (Media100) and a SCSI board.

I would like to buy another G4 on eBay and have a local tech install the hardware and harddrive from the dead computer into it.

This leads to my question: Will PCI peripherals installed in the previous Mac model work properly in the newer (and more commonly found) Mirrored Doors versions? Is there an issue that may arise trying to run os9 on the (relatively "newer") model rather than the older Gray and blue model? Can a dual-boot config be possible?

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Max Federmann

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: Oops I fried the board- Need to replace G4 Hardware...
on Feb 16, 2009 at 5:07:11 pm

Hi
Way back when I had no problems migrating my PCI video capture and SCSI cards from an old G4 to a MDD Dual 1.25 G4 - 4 nice internal drive bays that will take big ATA drives, and full OS 9 compatibility.

The last FW800 MDD G4 can't boot into OS9 - you need a FW400-only model to do that.
The version of OS 9 it needs must come off its own Jaguar OS X 10.2 CD install set - Software Restore CD1 (for the drivers for <128GB hard drives), Its a hidden disk image that has to be copied off.

You only get FW800/USB2 PCI-card compatability with OS X.
I used to dual boot mine OS X Panther/OS 9 - but some SCSI card compatibility (Adaptec mainly. but not all) ended with 10.3.2.

Finding a spare power supply for a MDD G4 is easier, as Apple offered every owner a less noisy replacement for just a small shipping charge - so I've got a spare for mine :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]