MAC OS X: Forum

boot intermittent problem despite clean install

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris gormanboot intermittent problem despite clean install
by on Feb 15, 2009 at 9:25:06 am

After several crashes, originally starting when I happened to be working in fcp 6, I erased my boot drive and did a clean install of osx.4.11, followed by several online updates.

After the clean install of osx.4.11, i'm getting intermittent problems booting. I've done repair permissions after each online update. When the update requires a reboot, in most cases it does not boot properly.

If I manually hold the option key to go the startup panel, where my new boot drive has already been selected as the startup drive, it boots fine.

But most, though not every time, that I boot without going through the startup panel, it freezes or gives me a black screen with darwin text, sometimes just a blue screen.

I don't want to proceed with re-installing all my final cut pro studio2 software until i'm sure this OS is stable. Does anyone know what this behavior might mean?
Any suggestions how to fix it?

I did not do the update to QT 7.6 because i hear it's causes problems with osx.4.11, so for now, it's QT 7.0.4, until I can find something newer (other than 7.6) on apple's site which also is problematic. How do I find versions of QT for download? Support/downloads and search doesn't bring any up.

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 3.5GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, FCStudio2, Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1
Sony ZIU hdv, edited w.ProRes

Return to posts index

Andrew CommiskeyRe: boot intermittent problem despite clean install
by on Feb 15, 2009 at 6:26:21 pm

Instead of using software update download the 10.4.11 COMBO update and install it. Then repair your permissions. I will sometimes do a safe boot (start-up holding down the shift key) and then restart.
The combo updates seem to work better than the software update feature.
Hope this clears it up.
Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: boot intermittent problem despite clean install
by on Feb 16, 2009 at 2:43:57 pm

With kernal panics there are so many potential causes that one cannot properly trouble shoot it via an Internet forum. I recomend making an apointment at the genius bar of your local apple store and let then take a look at the machine. It sounds like it is most likely a hardware problem though.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Paul DickinRe: boot intermittent problem despite clean install
by on Feb 16, 2009 at 5:23:25 pm

Hi
All the older versions of QT that apple regard as stable are still available for download:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/
Just page back to the 2007 or earlier pages.

Return to posts index

chris gormanRe: boot intermittent problem despite clean install
by on Feb 16, 2009 at 7:30:09 pm

Yes, I did finally take it into the genius bar yesterday. They called a few minutes ago and told me I had some bad memory, only one set working.

Another minor thing I learned: Because my preferred boot drive was in the lower slot, when trouble started, by default it booted onto the drive I had in the top slot. So, now I'm switching my preferred boot drive to the top.

BTW, the memory that failed was the orig. apple memory, and one or possibly both in 3rd party pair. One third party pair (2x256) is ok. So, I'm looking now for the best place to get some good reasonbly priced ram, hopefully today.

Thanks to all of you for your input. BTW, I agree that the online update thing is not the best method, but I got impatient with trying to identify and find the gazillion updates (security & java stuff) separately on apple's download site...I did already at least download the osx.4.11 combo and QT 7.4.5

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 3.5GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, FCStudio2, Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1
Sony ZIU hdv, edited w.ProRes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]