MAC OS X: Forum

Interface not appearing for Handbrake

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erika Chamberlin
Interface not appearing for Handbrake
on Jan 23, 2009 at 2:36:00 am

At the advice of an editor friend I have arrived here. I downloaded the latest version of handbrake for mac 0S 10. For the life of me the interface does not appear on the desktop although I tried for 3 hours straight . How to convert the TS files to MOV or AVI with no interface?
I looked everywhere I could think for the interface. Nothing.
Downloaded second version of handbrake just on the off chance that the intel version was not right. (sigh...)
Ejected and reinserted dvd from where I ripped the files with mac the ripper in hopes that clouds would part and the voice of God would enlighten me.

Help.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Chuck Reti
Re: Interface not appearing for Handbrake
on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:13:31 pm

Does the Handbrake application name appear in the menu bar next to the Apple menu, and in the Dock (to at least indicate it has actually launched)? If Handbrake is running, have you tried going to the menu> Window pulldown and gone through the window selections offered- Handbrake, Queue, Activity monitor?

Handbrake is for conversions of DVD and other video source files to MPEG-4 format for iPod, iTunes and mobile devices; really not suited for conversion to QT's for editing in FCP, if that's what you're intending to use if for.
Appropriate and best free appliction for that purpose is the frequently-cited MPEG Streamclip

Return to posts index

Erika Chamberlin
on Jan 24, 2009 at 9:26:14 pm

Todd thank you so much for writing me. MY RESPONSES IN CAPS! - ERIKA
Does the Handbrake application name appear in the menu bar next to the Apple menu, and in the Dock (to at least indicate it has actually launched)?
NO IT DOES NOT !

If Handbrake is running, have you tried going to the menu> Window pulldown and gone through the window selections offered- Handbrake, Queue, Activity monitor?
NOT RUNNING. HOW DO I GET IT TO RUN?

Handbrake is for conversions of DVD and other video source files to MPEG-4 format for iPod, iTunes and mobile devices; really not suited for conversion to QT's for editing in FCP, if that's what you're intending to use if for.
WELL I WAS HOPING TO CONVERT THE QTS TO VIEWABLE AND youtube POSTABLE Movie Files NOT TO IPOD or anything else.
HAVE 25 MINUTES of FOOTAGE THAT NEEDS TO BE SIMPLY CHOPPED DOWN TO 2 SEGMENTS.

Appropriate and best free appliction for that purpose is the frequently-cited MPEG Streamclip

NOT SURE IF THE APP LINK YOU SENT ME SHOULD BE PURSUED.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Jan 25, 2009 at 2:31:50 am

You did not mention what version of OS X you are running (10.4.x, 10.5.x) nor whether on Intel or PPC hardware. The newest posted GUI version of the Mac version of Handbrake, v9.3, runs on Leopard, 10.5.x only. Use the link to "older versions" on the Handbrake site http://handbrake.fr/?article=download for v9.1 if you are using Tiger OS X 10.4. Also make sure you didn't/don't inadvertently download a CLI (Command Line) version, which are listed just below the GUI download links.
The link to MPEG Streamclip is well worth a look, even if it is not what you need for this particular task. It is a versatile tool widely used for video format conversions, and does have trim and select abilities.

Return to posts index

Erika Chamberlin
on Jan 25, 2009 at 2:41:49 am

Mac OS x Version 1.4 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

Return to posts index

Erika Chamberlin
Making progress But HOW to shorten clip in MPEG Streamclip?
on Jan 25, 2009 at 3:45:16 am

Todd and Chuck
Great advice. Took your word for it and downloaded MPEG streamclip. One problem: Clip is 26 minutes long = too long for youtube download. Mentioned that mpeg 4 files can be "edited" with this tool. How?
The first useable segment if 8'32 from the beginning. The second one starts a bit later etc.
Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
Re: Making progress But HOW to shorten clip in MPEG Streamclip?
on Jan 26, 2009 at 9:05:35 pm

To select a range in MPEG Streamclip, play the video or drag the slider to where you want your clip to start and press I (for In Point). Move to the spot where you want that clip to end and press O (Out Point).

You can now select Trim from the Edit menu to remove the unwanted portions of your video, and then Save As using a new name so you don't ruin your original movie.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]