MAC OS X: Forum

Mac performance issue

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khusoiry Misuary
Mac performance issue
on Jan 16, 2009 at 2:08:56 am

Hello g'day

I have two Mac systems with the following details; (Mac A) 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, with memory 4 GB 667 MHz --- and --- (Mac B) 4 x 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 Quad, with memory 2 GB.

May I kindly know why the performance of my Mac B is slower than Mac A?
It would really be of great help. Thanks

Khusoiry

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Mac performance issue
on Jan 16, 2009 at 4:17:24 am

[Khusoiry Misuary] "May I kindly know why the performance of my Mac B is slower than Mac A? "

Performance of what?
What application?
What exactly is NOT preforming?

Please provide more details about what the issue is.

Also a little more info about the machines like the type of machine, ie iMac, MacBook etc.

Some apps are depend heavily on graphics cards. If your PPC computer has a killer graphics card and the intel has a crapy one then that will play a big factor.

More info please.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Khusoiry Misuary
on Jan 16, 2009 at 5:30:26 am

My Mac B is unstable and performs slower in rendering videos, opening multiple applications, transferring of big files and capturing of videos.

So from the specifications in my previous post. Could you tell me whats wrong? Or what's the difference?

Thanks

Skills create, ideas sell..

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 16, 2009 at 6:41:30 am

[Khusoiry Misuary] "Mac B is unstable and performs slower in rendering videos, opening multiple applications, transferring of big files and capturing of videos. "

[Khusoiry Misuary] "(Mac A) 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, with memory 4 GB "
[Khusoiry Misuary] "(Mac B) 4 x 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 Quad, with memory 2 GB"

Describe unstable?

As far as B being slower to render, rendering uses RAM and that machine has half the amount of ram as the other. (keep in mind that FCP can only use about 4GB of RAM)

Running multiple applications is again a RAM thing.

Think of RAM as a workbench the more you have the more things you can do at a time or the bigger the project you can work on.

As far as transferring of files and capturing of video its hard to say without knowing how the hard drives are connected, how full the hard drives are, what format the drives are.

From what you have described so far everything sounds perfectly normal.
You cannot expect a machine that is probably at least 3 years old and has less RAM to preform like a machine that is less then a year old with more RAM.

Return to posts index

Khusoiry Misuary
on Jan 17, 2009 at 2:11:13 am

It is unstable in the following way; of all my Macs, the one we're talking about has a record of frequents hangs. Besides that, at times when I'm working on FCP, the program abruptly shuts down.

In other cases, when capturing video footage from either Digi Beta/DV decks into FCP, the resulting clip captured has often came up out of sync. The peculiar thing is that his isn't the case on the rest of my Macs.

And for hard disk space, I'm using two XSAN servers of 7 TB each connected to three Macs/FCPs. They store all my work files (Captured footages, render files, project files, exported clips, etc).

I would like to rectify this issue as it is affecting my workflow. So is it right to say that I need to upgrade or replace the system with a better performing Mac? I would deeply appreciate your advice. Thanks a million

Khusoiry

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 17, 2009 at 4:42:43 am

[Khusoiry Misuary] "the one we're talking about has a record of frequents hangs. Besides that, at times when I'm working on FCP, the program abruptly shuts down. "

That sounds kinda like the software is janky, you could try reinstalling the OS and apps, however I would recommend an erase and install.

Also have you tried running disk utility.

Return to posts index

Khusoiry Misuary
on Jan 17, 2009 at 5:31:34 am

No I haven't. May I what does it do? Or how will it helps?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]