MAC OS X: Forum

From G5 to Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Elkins
From G5 to Mac Pro
on Jan 12, 2009 at 2:29:34 pm

Apologies if this has been answered previously - I couldn't find any answers in the archive.

I plan on purchasing a Mac Pro to replace my G5. I'd like to know how difficult or easy it is to transfer applications to the new machine. Will I need to re-install everything from scratch? I have Final Cut Studio installed on the G5 - how do I un-register the G5 and re-register the Mac Pro as my computer?
This may all be very simple, but I've never done it before so I want to check things out first.

Many thanks,
Alex

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: From G5 to Mac Pro
on Jan 13, 2009 at 6:10:24 pm

[Alex Elkins] "I'd like to know how difficult or easy it is to transfer applications to the new machine. Will I need to re-install everything from scratch?"

You can do a migration to the new machine, however just about every one I know who is experienced with computers will tell you to start fresh and install every thing from scratch on a new system. There is just a lot less risk of problems that way. ESPECIALLY WITH PRO APPS.

[Alex Elkins] "I have Final Cut Studio installed on the G5 - how do I un-register the G5 and re-register the Mac Pro as my computer?"

Best thing to do with ANY machine you are going to stop using is to ERASE it and install a clean OS on it. As far as registering FCP with the new computer it will ask for the SN when you install it.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]