MAC OS X: Forum

Permissions resetting

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Janzen
Permissions resetting
on Jan 8, 2009 at 7:35:26 pm

I'm having some issues with a few eMacs that I'm administrating. From my admin account, I set up permissions on the "Student" account. I close the permissions window and re-open it and the changes I made are gone. Also, sometimes even if the permissions apply, they'll get reset at a later date (I make the changes, log to the Student account and test everything, and a few days later, things Student used to have permission for no longer does).

They are older 1.25 and 1.42(?) eMacs running 10.4.11. This doesn't happen on the newer iMacs (some running 10.4.11 and some 10.5.5). Any clue as to why this may be happening and what I need to do to fix it would be great.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Permissions resetting
on Jan 9, 2009 at 4:30:13 am

Use Deep Freeze.
http://www.faronics.com/html/dfmac.asp

Its the ONLY way to keep things in line when you are not the one sitting at the computer.
Students don't understand or care that the changes that they make will cause you problems, and some times they do it just for kicks because they know it does cause you problems.

Deep Freeze makes it a easy as restarting the computer to foil the plans of the evil little ones.

I've even seen Deep Freeze used at Apple Stores, and those computers get jacked with more then any computer you will ever have in your lab.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Ricky Janzen
on Jan 9, 2009 at 9:13:41 pm

Yeah, I've been looking at that already. However, these permissions are resetting while I'm STILL at the computer. I close the permissions window and reopen it, and they're reset... :|

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 10, 2009 at 1:28:03 am

What preferences exactly are having the issues?

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Ricky Janzen
on Jan 12, 2009 at 6:23:55 pm

Permissions for specific programs. Both in the applications section and the utilities section. For example, I'll have several applications checked for access and most others (like sys prefs, etc) unchecked and one utility (MIDI setup) checked with the others unchecked. Many of the ones I have checked will become unchecked and ones I have unchecked will become checked. It seems to vary exactly which ones get changed, but often the first half or so of the applications will become all checked and everything else is unchecked. In the instance that it reset every time I closed the window, it was just the few I checked that got reverted to unchecked (however, a restart seemed to fix this specific case and I was able to make changes correctly after restarting).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]