MAC OS X: Forum

Hidden files

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian BabarikHidden files
by on Jan 7, 2009 at 9:14:03 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had an undeletable file that would crash my system every time I tried to rid myself of the stubborn jerk. Unfortunately,despite the good suggestions I received none of them worked. I backed up my files and reformatted my start-up drive. I am having no problems meticulously going through my files and reintroducing them to the fresh system save one. Here it is:

I had taken my User folder that contained my Home Icon (including desktop, preferences, etc.) and also the shared folder and placed them into the other internal drive. I checked to make sure that the sizes were the same and cleared the first drive. When I go back to that User folder the Shared folder is there but not the Home Icon. The User folder is at 40 GB but inside the shared folder consists of only 4 GB.

To me this means that the information from the Home Icon is there, somewhere, and is either invisible or unreachable. As there were many items I would have rather kept under that icon my question is: How can I access the files that I cannot see? Is this an uncorrectable mistake?

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated as I know there are many smarter people here than I. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Hidden files
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 5:30:51 am

Scan the drive with a program called WhatSize and see if it tells you anything. If that does not do the trick, then I suggest making an appointment at your making an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store, as trouble shooting this one over the web would be a bit to hard.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Brian BabarikRe: Hidden files
by on Jan 8, 2009 at 5:00:56 pm

I ran WhatSize and also Disk Inventory X and they found that there was a .sparseimage file of 42GB with the title of my missing folder. However, it was just one file and not the folder with all the contents. I'm not sure what this means. Is there any other step I can take before heading to the genius bar or am I tapped out?

Thanks again I keep learning every time I come here!

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Hidden files
by on Jan 9, 2009 at 4:38:17 am

Sorry it just to hard to really do much with out having my hands on it.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Brian BabarikRe: Hidden files
by on Jan 9, 2009 at 4:40:00 am

No worries. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]