MAC OS X: Forum

Quicktime Reference files to PC-based compression station?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron DupreyQuicktime Reference files to PC-based compression station?
by on Jan 2, 2009 at 4:47:40 pm

Hey there.

We upgraded to MacPros a few months ago. On my machine, I've two boot drives. One for FCP and one for Avid. I currently use Avid more than FCP.

We've also got a dedicated PC that processes all of our compressions via watch folders on our network. This compression station runs Windows XP, and all of our compressions are done through Sorenson Squeeze 4.3.302.4.

In the past, we used PC-based Avid systems, and just when we wanted to compress something, we exported quicktime reference files (with network resources enabled) to our network, into whichever watch folder we wanted. Sorenson would see them and drop the resulting compressed files into a 'compressed movies' directory on the network. This worked flawlessly for us.

Since upgrading to Macs, we've seen that the quicktime reference file route doesn't work (it doesn't seem to matter if it comes from FCP or Avid). When a QT ref is dropped into any of our watch folders, Squeeze doesn't like it, and says that it can't see the media. As a result, we now drop Uncompressed QTs or Same as Source QTs into the watch folders, and that does the trick, but it's just very cumbersome. It takes longer to export, and the files are HUGE.

I'm not sure if there's a setting I'm missing somewhere that'd let those QT reference files work again. I remember setting up this Mac and being asked if I wanted to make it available for network rendereing, and I selected 'no'. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Quicktime Reference files to PC-based compression station?
by on Jan 3, 2009 at 4:25:10 am

[Aaron Duprey] "When a QT ref is dropped into any of our watch folders, Squeeze doesn't like it, and says that it can't see the media."

What codec is used by these files?

This is KEY because if you are giving the PC a file that uses a codec that it does NOT have then the PC an do nothing with it.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Dino SanacoryRe: Quicktime Reference files to PC-based compression station?
by on Jan 3, 2009 at 7:38:51 am

It's a network thing. As long as you are all Mac or all Windows the path to the media is the same so Quicktime always sees the referenced files. Crossing platforms breaks the link as each OS has its own way of seeing network volumes.

Now are you saying that the QT file referenced media local to your Avid system? Perhaps if you set up sharing on the Avid system and exported ref to the public folder of your user. If you grabbed it from there with the compression machine, the links might be preserved?

If you find an answer I would really appreciate you posting it here.

Return to posts index

Aaron DupreyRe: Quicktime Reference files to PC-based compression station?
by on Jan 3, 2009 at 2:47:06 pm

"It's a network thing. As long as you are all Mac or all Windows the path to the media is the same so Quicktime always sees the referenced files. Crossing platforms breaks the link as each OS has its own way of seeing network volumes. "

Thanks for this reply. I didn't realize that the each OS network volumes differently. That's news to me.

On Monday, I'll try to set up a Watch Folder on the PC that looks at the public folder on my Mac, but I've got a feeling that it probably won't work. Worth a shot, though. Thanks.

Return to posts index

David FalschRe: Quicktime Reference files to PC-based compression station?
by on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:10:07 pm

Hello
We actually have the same issue.
We have an ISIS server with connected to an Xserve with Telestream Episode running on it.
Every workspaces are mounted OK on the Xserve, but the QT ref files (exported from Avid on one of the ISIS workspace) aren't readable.
EXCEPT if the mediain reference to is stored in the very same drive/workspace as the QT ref.
Anyway, that's the same problem of relative path between PC & Mac.

Did any of you guys find an answer ?

Return to posts index

Aaron DupreyRe: Quicktime Reference files to PC-based compression station?
by on Jan 3, 2009 at 2:42:18 pm

"if you are giving the PC a file that uses a codec that it does NOT have then the PC an do nothing with it."

This isn't what's going on. Self-contained movies work just fine. Like I said, Squeeze has no problem with Same-as-source Avid quicktimes and Uncompressed QTs. What I'm trying to do is get Squeeze to see REFERENCE movies from my Mac. I'd much rather send a 200K file over the network than a 3GB file...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]