MAC OS X: Forum

Mac Re-build Virgin: Can you help?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan RamseyMac Re-build Virgin: Can you help?
by on Dec 31, 2008 at 8:02:44 pm

Hey folks,

I've been piecing together the nuts and bolts of upgrading my G5 on 10.4.x to Leopard from various posts. However, I need to do a clean install (wipe drive) then a fresh build and I've never done that before.

1. Can anyone point me in the direction(s) of hints and tips or even a walk-through on doing this and what pitfalls to avoid? I'm particularly interested in any ways to save basic settings or migrate them over so I'm not configuring every nook and cranny on that from scratch (i.e., passwords, mail, mobileMe, etc.).

2. Further, on this machine I run FCP2 with a Blackmagic Designs Decklink Extreme card plus have an ATTO card for a RAID tower from now-gone HUGE Systems. I'm curious if anyone can direct me to how to handle these specialized (but older) video hardware topics (read: how best to get these working with Leopard).

SUPER BIG THANK YOU!

Sincerely,
Mac Rebuild Virgin in Colorado

RAMSEY
Treeline Film Company
Colorado, USA

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Mac Re-build Virgin: Can you help?
by on Jan 2, 2009 at 4:43:31 am

hello...

you might want to look into carbon copy and an external drive, although an upgrade should preserve things ok - but backing up first is always smart...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jonathan RamseyRe: Mac Re-build Virgin: Can you help?
by on Jan 5, 2009 at 2:51:31 pm

Thanks for the tip on Carbon Copy. It does look like a good app.

I have to wipe out the system, though, so this is slightly more complicated than an upgrade. But maybe that app could be a good backup in case things go wrong.

Thanks for chiming in!
Ramsey

RAMSEY
Treeline Film Company
Colorado, USA

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Mac Re-build Virgin: Can you help?
by on Jan 5, 2009 at 3:16:11 pm

hello...

you can use it to do what you want to do - if you are formatting the drive, then you really only have one option, which is to put your existing data on a separate drive (either some or all of it - but that's your choice), format your internal drive and then put back what you want - carbon copy will make you an exact copy of your current drive, which makes it a lot easier to put back what you want (copy back your user folder and applications folder, for example)...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]