MAC OS X: Forum

Undeletable file

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Babarik
Undeletable file
on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:57:54 pm

I ripped a friends old wedding video into an .mov file using mpeg streamclip so I could clean it up for him. Unfortunately, my disk ran out of space so the file wasn't completed. I figured no big deal I'll just dispose of it and clean some space off of my drive and try again. What happened next has been killing me all day. The file is aprox. 23 GB and when I try to empty it from my trash I get the gray box of death telling me to manually restart my mac. Every time I've tried to delete this file from my system my computer freezes and requires a manual restart. I've tried everything. Clearing up more space on the disk, renaming the file, using TrashIt. I'm at my wits end and wondering if there is anyone who has ran across an issue like this or if some of the many smarter people than I may have a solution.

Please help.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Undeletable file
on Dec 23, 2008 at 4:49:50 pm

Select the file and hit Command-i.

At the bottom of the inspection window there is an area called "Sharing and Permissions." See if you can unlock that area and alter some of the settings in your favor.

Another solution I've had work in the past is to change the extention of the file name. Add a ".txt" or ".zip" to the end of the file. Sometimes that shakes things up and lets you erase it.

Return to posts index

Brian Babarik
on Dec 24, 2008 at 12:06:23 am

Thank you for the suggestion. But, I tried each of your suggestions and I think I have a really stubborn problem on my hands. Every time I try to empty the trash with that file in the basket the computer freezes up and I have to manually turn off the computer. Thanks again but I'm going to be fighting this file for a bit.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Dec 24, 2008 at 5:19:25 am

Here are a couple of things to try.

Hold down option while emptying the trash.

Pull the file out of the trash and then restart the computer into target mode, conect it to another mac and try deleating it from there.

Boot into safe mode by holding down shift while booting and see if you can deleate it then.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Kerrie Moore
on Dec 26, 2008 at 1:33:41 pm

I've had the same problem a long time ago, this app did the trick for me.

Delete It available from http://www.drewfindley.com/findleydesigns/products.html

Hope it helps
Cheers
Kerrie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]