MAC OS X: Forum

3.0GHZ vs. 3.2 GHZ

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser3.0GHZ vs. 3.2 GHZ
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 6:00:50 pm

Hello to all...
Just a quick question. Looking to upgrade to a Mac Pro. I am work quite a bit with AE and Lightwave and I am going to get into flash video. So a good deal of rendering going on. But is there going to be a huge difference between a 3.0 GHZ vs. a 3.2 GHZ. I'm looking at about a $1000 difference between the machines. I also have an imac and my old tower to do rendering as well. So I will be able to render on those when needed. So is it worth getting the 3.2 or go w/ the 3?

Thanks For your wisdom and guidance
Chuck

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: 3.0GHZ vs. 3.2 GHZ
by on Dec 21, 2008 at 2:31:41 am

Hard to say. At the moment I don't think there's much difference. Most programs don't make full use of the hardware no matter what system you have. So today, I'd say the cheaper one is the better choice.

But Snow Leopard is coming out next year and this is one of the major problems its going to tackle. Then, as Adobe updates their programs to work well with that you may see software pushing the limits of hardware again.

But I really can't say how that's going to work out since it's all in the future. I guess I would say that if you can comfortably afford the 3.2 chip, go for it. It may pay off in the future. If, however, you're sacrificing somewhere else (less RAM or a smaller screen, maybe?) to afford the chip then don't make that sacrifice. You won't see a big enough difference today to make that trade-off worth it.

Return to posts index

Chuck ObernesserRe: 3.0GHZ vs. 3.2 GHZ
by on Dec 21, 2008 at 9:28:37 pm

Awesome, thanks for the response. Just like everyone else, you can never truly catch up with the technology.

Chuck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]