MAC OS X: Forum

should i REALLY buy a mac??

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Dantonioshould i REALLY buy a mac??
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:00:19 am

I'm a graphic designer needing to buy a new computer. My main concerns are the life span of the computer, right now I've been using a Toshiba Satellite that I've had for 3 1/2 years that has reached its end. I'd like to go a longer time, at least four years or so.

My second main concern is stability. As I'm sure many of you can feel my pain I'm very tired of "Illegal operations" and "Not Responding" notices in the middle of projects. I understand these types of things are unavoidable but I'd to minimize them as much as possible. OSX, XP, Vista??

Third concern is performance. I'm looking to get Adobe Master Collection and run a least a few of these programs at a time. Specifically I'd like to be able to run Affect Effects and Photoshop without having to wait forever to for a ram preview in AE. I would really like something that moves fast and does what I want it to, when I want it to.

I've looked a lot into the MacBook Pro, its seems like a suped up version of that (2.53GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 320GB HD) could definitely do the job, but that runs upwards of $3000. Is that really the best way to go? I hear that it is but it's hard for me to believe that when I see a PC with3GB ram and 350GB HD for $500. Even if I had to buy a new PC every two years that would still be a better way to go.

Is there a PC brand (Sony, Toshiba, etc) that's better than another? Mac the way to go?? Mac Pro refirb??

Thoughts? Advise? Let me have it!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: should i REALLY buy a mac??
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:36:44 am

[Nick Dantonio] "I've been using a Toshiba Satellite that I've had for 3 1/2 years that has reached its end. I'd like to go a longer time, at least four years or so"

Sorry but ANY computer is going to be extremely outdated at that length. Three good years is about the max in my opinion.

[Nick Dantonio] "My second main concern is stability"

Macs are vary stable!!!

[Nick Dantonio] "I've looked a lot into the MacBook Pro, (2.53GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 320GB HD) could definitely do the job, but that runs upwards of $3000. Is that really the best way to go? I hear that it is but it's hard for me to believe that when I see a PC with3GB ram and 350GB HD for $500. "

Sure you may be able to get a cheep PC with close to the same ram and hard drive, but you will most likely NOT find a 500 PC with the same processor speed. Any PC you find at that price will have the processing power of a 1-2 year old machine. (and you say you want some beef for AE)

Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple makes both the hardware and OS and so that right there cuts out a TON of problems.

I know there is a recession, but you still get what you pay for.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: should i REALLY buy a mac??
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 9:24:07 pm

If you compare the same specs you should find that Macs are slightly more expensive to similar PCs.

You didn't say what PC you found for $500, but I'm betting it has MANY differences from the $3,000 Mac. Find something that's the same specs and you're probably looking at a $2,700 PC, or something like that.

So are Macs more? Sure, a little bit. But it's totally worth it. I could spend an hour listing reasons, but I think it's just as good to say that I own 3 Macs at home and just successfully convinced my office to switch our 5 video-editing systems over to Macs.

I believe very strongly in this stuff. No other system has tempted me in the slightest in the past 5 or 6 years.

If you have more specific questions, I can answer them, but for the general "Should I buy?" question I would have to say 'yes.'

Return to posts index

Christopher WrightRe: should i REALLY buy a mac??
by on Dec 12, 2008 at 7:43:23 am

Actually good Windows machines will always have faster processors and better graphic card selections for any rendering, 3d work or processor intensive work. The problem is, you aren't going to find these machines at your local Best Buy. You need to buy and configure them from a place like Boxx technologies. I still use Apple machines for all my FCP HD work, but now that Adobe CS4 has come out and it is definitely tweaked for Vista, I have been wavering in my desire to stick with Apple. Unless they come out soon with a much better machine and a massively rebuilt FCP engine, I may have to move back over to the "dark side."

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Jeremy WeissRe: should i REALLY buy a mac??
by on May 6, 2010 at 4:04:20 am

i agree - plus, even though you pay more, the capabilities straight out of the box are FAR greater than those of a PC... especially with stuff like video/audio editing, etc... and i've found that a lot of the software can be cheaper as well... just my two cents worth :)

Jeremy from Hockey Drills

Return to posts index

Richard FrackRe: should i REALLY buy a mac??
by on Dec 19, 2008 at 2:28:24 am

Leaving aside hardware, i have to say that XP is the most stable OS i have ever worked in (although there is tweaking/knowledge involved in getting it there/keeping it healthy.) I didn't even use a firewall or anything beyond basic antivirus and NEVER had a blue screen in 5+ years of daily use until hardware failure on wireless card.

OS X is nice but i have definitely had problems and some frustrating lack of PC features (like copying the path to a folder from a finder window) - that was disappointing after all the hype. #1 reason i use it is FCP. Also - if you are familiar w/ Adobe shortcuts on PC you will have to start from zero + learn all the Mac ones, which in my experience slows work to a crawl.

Vista - forget about it, total POS. I just don't understand why anyone would want an OS that does 10% more than XP, sucks up 250% more resources, runs slower and crashes 5x week. I'm sure i could get it into better shape but i only use it on one company-provided laptop and can't be bothered to put in the effort.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]