MAC OS X: Forum

Startup loop!?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Powell
Startup loop!?
on Nov 22, 2008 at 8:14:58 pm

In Panther, on startup, the desktop and dock appears and stays, but the menu bar keeps flicking in and out of view repeatedly, i.e. in a never ending loop.. and the desktop icons do not appear at all.

Nothing responds when I click on it, but I can insert a CD/DVD while the above is happening.

So I forced a restart, and booted from the installation disk, and used Disk Utility to repair disk and verify permissions. I also tried 'Safe Boot' and DiskWarrior 4.1.1. But none of these have made any difference to the problem.. or even detect a problem.

I can boot from my external Tiger drive (where I do most of my video work) but unfortunately most of my non-video apps (including my email) are on the faulty Panther drive.

This is baffling, as I haven't installed anything new onto the Panther drive recently, or had any problem like this with Panther.. ever!

Hope someone can advise.. as I've been trying to solve this all day.

Return to posts index

Harry Powell
Re: Startup loop!?
on Nov 23, 2008 at 4:11:47 pm

A quick update..

I've just tried TechTool (4.6.1), and it past all the tests (other than some minor 'finder info' repairs which were fixed) and the fault still remains!

Anyone have any ideas at all? Or is there a different forum I should post this to?

Return to posts index

Joe Rugby
on Nov 24, 2008 at 7:25:07 pm

Harry,

No idea if this will work for you but...

On one of my G4's sometimes when it starts up it has twice the icons and the desktop is in general disarray.

I go up to the top to the little tv screen icon (Displays) and toggle from 1 1024 x 768 setting to another (I think its either 60hz to 75 hz)
and for whatever reason the display works correctly.

Hope you get lucky.

Cheers,

Joe

L.O.A.

Return to posts index

Harry Powell
on Nov 26, 2008 at 10:59:02 am

Hi Joe - thanks for the reponse but none of my icons are appearing and clicking anywhere has no effect.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 25, 2008 at 1:17:36 am

Your problem is simple you have a corrupt OS. Reinstall it.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Harry Powell
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:16:37 am

Hi Zane

Good idea. Would an 'archive and install' suffice? Not done it in a while so not sure if there's a risk of losing anything. My original disks are actually 10.3.5 (updated since to 10.3.9 from 'software update'). Might that be a problem? Don't have spare capacity for a back-up right now.

My other problem is that on Monday, I thought I'd try 'Optimising'(defragmenting) my drive (using Techtool 4) to see if that would help.. and it is still running! It is making progress, but at this rate it might take another day or 2 to complete! (though it's hard to be sure). Perhaps I should not have deselected the default setting of 'files only'?

And my other problem (because of the above) is that I have to pop out to an internet cafe for internet access.. where I am now!

Thanks for your suggestion and I'll do my best to check back for any follow up suggestions.

Return to posts index

Harry Powell
on Nov 26, 2008 at 8:32:32 pm

Hi Zane

You were right! I did an 'archive and install' and it fixed the problem! Many many thanks for ending many days of frustration.

Harry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]