MAC OS X: Forum

Wireless for G4?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CampbellWireless for G4?
by on Nov 12, 2008 at 3:00:51 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to go wireless with my old G4? I found a link that had a bunch of USB adapters (afterthemac.com), but I just don't know if I'm going to run into compatibility issues with my Linksys router at home.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Wireless for G4?
by on Nov 12, 2008 at 5:24:08 pm

From your other post I gathered that you are not even running OS X, let alone 10.3 or 10.4

Every USB wireless device I have seen requires at least 10.3.

Because you come from a PC world let me explain things like this. Basically you are trying to put Windows Vista on a computer that was built to run Windows 95.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Paul CampbellRe: Wireless for G4?
by on Nov 12, 2008 at 5:52:06 pm

No, it is running 10.3.5 actually...but only because it was upgraded from OS 9.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Wireless for G4?
by on Nov 12, 2008 at 6:03:01 pm

[Paul Campbell] "it is running 10.3.5"

Well then the comparison still stands except we now compare it to Win 98, there is just so much you cannot do with win 98 or with 10.3

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Paul CampbellRe: Wireless for G4?
by on Nov 12, 2008 at 8:54:02 pm

Ok, that's funny. I'm getting your point loud and clear!

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: Wireless for G4?
by on Nov 17, 2008 at 12:51:39 am

I wouldn't give up on this idea. Go to Linksys' site and see what OS is supported for your router model. Even if they say 10.4+ you might want to email their customer support and ask. Then I'd do the same for whatever product you want to use to attach to your G4. For what it's worth Linksys' latest product supports win 98. But I think Mac support came later for them.

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alexander KallasRe: Wireless for G4?
by on Dec 2, 2008 at 3:07:34 am

[Paul Campbell] "Does anyone have any recommendations on how to go wireless with my old G4? I found a link that had a bunch of USB adapters (afterthemac.com), but I just don't know if I'm going to run into compatibility issues with my Linksys router at home.
Thanks,
"

Depending on the model of G4, you can get an airport card. These were a service item for these Macs
and run under OSX. Try Google.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]