MAC OS X: Forum

G5 kernel panics (fibre card) after 10.5 upgrade

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane BettsG5 kernel panics (fibre card) after 10.5 upgrade
by on Nov 5, 2008 at 11:47:27 pm

Hope somebody can help me.

One of our FCP suites is running a G5 with Decklink and LSI fibre cards. Running fine on 10.4xx but I'm hitting problems trying to update to 10.5. Here's what I'm finding.

I'm setting up a totally new HDD with 10.5. Instal works fine, reboots fine. But as soon as I run the software update it kernel panics on startup. Initially I thought it was the security update and reinstalled without it but it appears to be the Quicktime updater (or maybe iTunes??)

I can boot just dandy if I unplug the fibre cables to the XRAID but with them in it panics every time. Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers
Bettsy

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: G5 kernel panics (fibre card) after 10.5 upgrade
by on Nov 6, 2008 at 4:57:34 pm

Sounds like your fibre card may not be fully leopard compatible.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Shane BettsRe: G5 kernel panics (fibre card) after 10.5 upgrade
by on Nov 7, 2008 at 1:21:18 am

LOL! Well. yes, I was kinda looking for something more in the way of a solution than the dreaded "it won't work mate" answer. Thanks for the post though:-))

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: G5 kernel panics (fibre card) after 10.5 upgrade
by on Nov 7, 2008 at 1:28:11 am

Well you haven't really told us what you have tried other then do a clean install and update.

Have you checked with the manufacturer of the card to see if it is fully leopard compatible?
Have you checked for new drivers?

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Shane BettsRe: G5 kernel panics (fibre card) after 10.5 upgrade
by on Nov 7, 2008 at 2:04:45 am

Hey Zane. Sorry if I haven't made myself clear.

As I said in my original post, it's an LSI fibre card. That's the Apple unit (they're made by LSI). The fact that it comes up in System Profiler as LSI and not Apple means it's a very early one - so your first reply could well be absolutely right but I'd be very disappointed if Apple stopped supporting their own cards (not beyond them though for sure).

I also mentioned that it works fine under 10.5 until I do the Quicktime updater. So there is a clash there somewhere. There is a fibre card update for use with the pro apps but it seems to make no difference to my configuration.

There is, of course, the possibility that Quicktime is actually clashing with the firmware on the XRAID and it's not the card at all.

I'm working through it but as OSX doesn't have Window's handy ability to regress to the previous working system state (guess they had to get something right) I'm currently having to do fresh installs each time to test and that takes over three hours and the suite doesn't have that much downtime. As it's a working suite I can't risk running updaters on the card or the RAID that may affect compatibility with 10.4xx and that's a limitation too.

At this rate it could take me weeks to solve if I'm just taking shots in the dark so I'm just wondering if somebody else may have come up against a similar issue and maybe they might have a suggestion of where they looked to sort it.

Thanks again.
Bettsy

Return to posts index

Andrew CommiskeyRe: G5 kernel panics (fibre card) after 10.5 upgrade
by on Nov 14, 2008 at 4:18:30 pm

I do not have a solid answer but instead of using software update try downloading the Latest OS Combo update, and quicktime. sometimes on older machines the software update is not complete. For this reason I usually download updates instead of using Software update. Also fix your permissions and maybe do a Safe-Boot to clean out old cashes (Start up holding the shift key, then restart).
Hope this helps
Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]