MAC OS X: Forum

Safari won't open

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Janzen
Safari won't open
on Oct 6, 2008 at 9:31:01 pm

At the university I work at, we have a lab with various Macs including some PPC eMacs and newer Intel iMacs. Anyway, on one of the PPC eMacs, Safari won't open. On the student account, the icon bounces once and stops, on the admin account, it just keeps bouncing. Regardless which account it's on, it never actually opens, or even comes up with the Safari menu bar at the top. When on the student account, it seems to quit itself, but I have to force quit on the admin account to get it to stop "trying" to open.

The machine is a 1.25GHz PPC G4 running 10.4.11. I've tried repairing permissions as well as completely deleting and resinstalling Safari (downloading via my laptop and copying the install package over to the offending eMac through Remote Desktop). I have one other identical machine as this (same specs and OS) and it's working fine on it.

I'm just hoping the next step isn't a complete OS reinstall, as we got these eMacs before I became responsible for this lab, so I have no clue where the original install discs are... :(

Thanks for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Safari won't open
on Oct 7, 2008 at 12:08:18 am

[Ricky Janzen] "I'm just hoping the next step isn't a complete OS reinstall"

nope just an archive and install.

[Ricky Janzen] "as we got these eMacs before I became responsible for this lab, so I have no clue where the original install discs are"

Once you find those disks, you should create a "Master Image" for each model of computer that you have. That way you can just re-image a computer if needed.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Oct 7, 2008 at 3:42:50 am

It sounds like the machine in question may have gotten installed on it a "helper" like AcidSearch or PithHelmet. Look in /Library/Input Managers or ~/Library/Input Managers and see if any suspicious Safari-related items are in there. Also check /Library/Application Support and see if there is a SIMBL folder and a Plugins folder within that.
I was using AcidSearch, which enabled Safari's search window to use search sites other than Google. At some point the developer stopped keeping up with Safari updates, and after a 3 dot- something update, my Safari app would not launch until I cleared out the Input Manager and SIMBL items.
Worth a shot, anyway.

Return to posts index

Freddy DeMarco
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:39:22 am

Safari will not open any more, when I click on the icon a question mark appears. Could my Safari have expired or been deleted. How can I open it? What does the question mark mean?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:04:56 am

First off Freddy its not good to hijack someone else's thread to ask your own question, especially one that is 6 months old. It is more polite to start a new thread.

As for your question if there is a ? then that means that the app has been deleted.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Freddy DeMarco
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:41:19 pm

Zane, I apologieze for usding someone elses thread, I had no idea I was doing that. How can I retrieve Safari, as I never intended to delete it? Could it have expired?

Thanks

Freddy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]