MAC OS X: Forum

Advice on new system drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron darby
Advice on new system drive
on Aug 21, 2008 at 8:27:15 pm

My system drive is giving signs of failing
ie. takes a long time to save to, takes a long time to move files to and from, and other slow downs.

My other internal drives do not have this problem

Disk utilities show nothing wrong with it.

I have trashed prefs and repaired per. I just did a clean install of Lep. 10.5.4 with all up-dates and loaded all my software. It took over 20 hours to load FCP studio 2.

So insted of reloading all my software to see if it was my OS or the drive I am going to get a new systewm drive, so there is no chance Ill have to load everything twice.

So my questions is what brand internal driver (WD Seagate) and is there any issues about what size it should be?

Hope i was clear
thanks

FCP Studio 2
2x2.66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

3 gig ram

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Advice on new system drive
on Aug 22, 2008 at 3:55:41 pm

I personally like Seagate, but you can find people who say they like other brands more.

As for size, that's totally up to you. I will say that I don't max out the size of my boot drives because I have no reason to. Everything works faster if your files are on drives 2, 3, and 4, so that's where I keep my stuff. (Even my iTunes Library has been moved there.) I use the boot drive for Applications and their support files and not much else.

So something in the 300 - 500 GB range is good. That's more than I need, usually, but it's good to have a little room to grow, just in case.

But again, that's just me. If you can think of uses for a 1 TB boot drive, there's no problem with that.

Besides the obvious (SATA, 7200 rpm) the one thing I would be sure to look for is the drive's cache size. There are drives with either 8, 16, or 32 MB caches built in. That's not usually something they put in big letters on the front of the box, so be sure to research that before you buy. It's usually on the box somewhere in small print. If an online store doesn't list that info, buy from somewhere else. I know http://www.compusa.com is one site that lists that number.

Return to posts index

ron darby
on Aug 23, 2008 at 4:54:01 am

Thanks for the info, that was very helpful

Aloha Ron

Return to posts index

craig alan
on Aug 30, 2008 at 4:27:42 am

I don’t think there is a way of telling if a drive is about to fail other than monitoring temperature (smart sensors) or if it starts clicking or grinding or making other funny sounds for sure it’s in trouble.

How full is your system drive? If it is more than 80% full that might account for the slow down. I suppose a lot of fragmentation or corruption might cause this as well.

Are you storing media files on the system drive?

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

ron darby
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:35:24 am

How full is your system drive?
It is a 230 gig and I am using 100 gigs

Are you storing media files on the system drive?
Ye,s sometime 2 to 4 times a week ill export a qtime to the desk top over the last 2 years

Return to posts index

craig alan
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:08:22 pm

You certainly have plenty of headroom. And unless you are editing with those QTs stored on the system drive that's not an issue.

Do you have another drive you can boot from to test your current system drive?

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

ron darby
on Aug 30, 2008 at 6:17:23 pm

Yes

I am re-loading OS & FCP studio 2 on a new SG 500 gig drive at this time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]