MAC OS X: Forum

How can I remove a SATA host adapter driver on my MacPro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Priest
How can I remove a SATA host adapter driver on my MacPro
on Aug 2, 2008 at 12:59:23 am

I purchased and installed this 4 port PCI-E Raid Card Sata II host adapter in my MacPro

http://www.cooldrives.com/4expcmaca.html

I suppose I initially installed the wrong driver because it would crash my system giving me a screen in several different languages that I needed to reboot my computer. The other problem I was having was the computer wouldn't restart without turning the power off for a few minutes and then hitting the power button (you couldn't just turn it off and right back on, it would hang before ever playing the startup tune.

So, I downloaded what I assume is the correct driver because it doesn't crash my computer anymore, but I still have the problem that it won't simply reboot (or restart) without completely shutting it down and waiting a few minutes before powering it back up. Other than that, I'm not having any other problems that I'm aware of.

Is it possible that part of the old driver is still in the system and I need to remove it and reinstall the good driver? The problem is, I don't know how to remove the driver. I was really hopping I wouldn't have to reinstall my entire operating system, I'm still pretty green on a Mac and I just don't need any more problems right now, I'm in the middle of 5 wedding edits. Thanks in advance.

Ron

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
Re: How can I remove a SATA host adapter driver on my MacPro
on Aug 2, 2008 at 1:59:42 am

Now that I read more on Silicon Images site (their FAQ section, I'm thinking I need to upgrade/flash the bios on the card, but the Silicon Image site only gives instructions how to flash the bios when installed in a PC, NOT a Mac, so I'm lost there.

This FAQ is one that also fit my problem with the RAID driver I installed

"I installed the required Driver but the storage controller is not working?"

You can read the FAQ page at:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportfaq.aspx#q4

Any direction on how to flash the bios of the card on a Mac would be much appreciated.

Ron

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 4, 2008 at 9:38:18 pm

i would definitely try to contact the manufacturer with your issues... as far as i know mac devices do not have bios. you may be able to find a firmware update for the card for the mac os version that you are using, but i couldn't find one on the quick search that i did on the site you provided.

there was no compatibility info for various versions of mac osx that i could find either. that makes me a little suspicious of how well they support the mac os...

anyway, when you contact them, let them know the specifics of your mac (like, latest mac pro, 2.8ghz, 8gb ram, etc.) and os version (10.5.3, etc.) and hopefully they can get you help quickly. you might even mention where you purchased it, so they don't think you bought a used card that may have already had problems.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 4, 2008 at 9:47:59 pm

Hi Kevin

Thanks for looking up that data for me, I appreciate it. I'll try again to contact the manufacture, oh that reminds me, I actually found a phone number, I'll try to call them as soon as I can get a chance. I too am concerned how well they support the Mac. Someone else had mentioned that I might try to do an archive reinstall, that's a little scary from an old PC guy's point of view.

Ron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]