MAC OS X: Forum

Adding a drive to an internal RAID

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Weinstein
Adding a drive to an internal RAID
on Jul 31, 2008 at 2:50:20 pm

I have a MacPro with 3 internal 750 gig HDs. One is the system drive and the other 2 are set up as a RAID 0 drive (no controller card, just software RAID using disc utility). I want to add a third drive to the RAID. So, a few questions:

1) Must the 3rd drive be the identical make/model/capacity as the first two or simply the same size? (Methinks it should be identical).
2) How exactly do I add the drive to the RAID? After physically installing the HD I go into disc utility and ??? add it it to the existing RAID somehow or better to undo the existing RAID and make a new RAID and then add the 3 drives to it?
3) Does doing this risk losing any of the data on the existing drives?
4) I have had no difficulties whatsoever from using the software RAID configuration. Assuming only internal drives, what does a hardware RAID controller card add?

Thank you in advance,

Andrew

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Adding a drive to an internal RAID
on Jul 31, 2008 at 4:30:09 pm

[Andrew Weinstein] "1) Must the 3rd drive be the identical make/model/capacity as the first two or simply the same size? (Methinks it should be identical). "

It is best if they are identical, less risk of problems.

[Andrew Weinstein] "2) How exactly do I add the drive to the RAID? After physically installing the HD I go into disc utility and ??? add it it to the existing RAID somehow or better to undo the existing RAID and make a new RAID and then add the 3 drives to it? "

You cannot just add a drive to a existing raid you must build a new raid from scratch.

[Andrew Weinstein] "3) Does doing this risk losing any of the data on the existing drives? "

There is no way around loosing all the data on the drives. When setting up a raid it will erase all data on the drives, you will want to copy any data to a completely different drive first.

[Andrew Weinstein] "4) I have had no difficulties whatsoever from using the software RAID configuration. Assuming only internal drives, what does a hardware RAID controller card add? "

The benefit to a hardware raid is that it is MUSCH more stable. I have had software raids fail before, so I stop using them and started using hardware raids.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]