MAC OS X: Forum

Hard Drive Swap

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron StellaHard Drive Swap
by on Jul 17, 2008 at 3:37:12 pm

I currently have a Dual-Dual 2.5Ghz Mac Pro (Intel), and will be buying a new Dual-Quad.

I just want to be able to take the hard drives (boot drive included) out of my old computer and put them in the new one.

Will this work?

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Hard Drive Swap
by on Jul 17, 2008 at 4:01:20 pm

[Aaron Stella] "I currently have a Dual-Dual 2.5Ghz Mac Pro (Intel), and will be buying a new Dual-Quad.

I just want to be able to take the hard drives (boot drive included) out of my old computer and put them in the new one.

Will this work? "

What OS are you running on the old computer?

The biggest issue that you face is that the OS on your old machine will NOT fully support the NEW hardware on the new machine.

Anytime you have a new machine I recommend starting FRESH.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Aaron StellaRe: Hard Drive Swap
by on Jul 18, 2008 at 9:35:31 pm

I am running 10.4.11

I was not aware of any hardware restrictions that 10.4 has that 10.5 does not. I am concerned seeing as how this machine is for my work, and in order to keep everyone on the same page, even if I didn't swap the hard drives, the new machine would be re-staged with 10.4 in order to work with our SAN.

What are the hardware limitations of 10.4 that 10.5 does not have? I will need to tell our head engineer about the problem.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Hard Drive Swap
by on Jul 19, 2008 at 3:11:15 am

[Aaron Stella] "I was not aware of any hardware restrictions that 10.4 has that 10.5 does not."

Apparently you did not understand what I said. it is NOT a hardware restriction, it is hardware support. You cannot expect an OS that was released before new hardware was released to be able to fully support that new hardware, as it was NOT out when that OS was built.

Even machines that came out after Leopard was released will have a newer build of the OS (even though it is the save version 10.4.2 etc it will still be a newer build of the OS, for example look on the disks hat came with the new machine they will have a build number on it)

Another example is that the Leopard retail box disk that you buy will not even support machines built after the release of Leopard.

It is NOT a restriction issue it is a SUPPORT issue.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]