MAC OS X: Forum

Monitor won't come up--Help!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jabbar thomas
Monitor won't come up--Help!
on Jul 2, 2008 at 9:38:54 pm

Hi,

I have a 400MHz Graphite Mac G4 and I can't get my monitor up anymore! I start my Mac (and restart it several times) and the monitor just never comes up (the power light stays amber as if it's asleep). Of course, it's plugged into the computer as well as its power source and I'm not getting the "monitor cable disconnected" message on the screen like when it's unplugged from the computer. The monitor works fine with other computers.

I don't get the impression that my CPU is doing much at all when I power up. It sounds like it now has a shorter cycle of activity than it used to. The computer briefly spins up, then idles (all you can hear after that is the fan spinning). The CPU doesn't give me the other clicking and spinning sounds that it usually does as it goes through its routine just before letting me log in. This leads me to believe that it may be a processor or video card issue. Has anyone ever run into this problem or know any fixes (or any inexpensive video cards as a replacement if necessary)? Even a diagnosis of what could be going on would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jabbar

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Monitor won't come up--Help!
on Jul 2, 2008 at 10:42:24 pm

This hss some of the symptoms of a dead Logic Board Battery.

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Jul 3, 2008 at 2:17:49 am

Hmm...any idea how I'd change the logic board battery of what kind of battery is required? It's a Graphite G4, 400MHz.

Thanks,
Jabbar

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jul 3, 2008 at 5:57:40 am

[Chuck Reti] "This hss some of the symptoms of a dead Logic Board Battery."

Sorry but it dose not sound like that at all, it it was the battery the computer wold work fine it would just not keep the time when you turn the computer off.

He is not getting anything on the monitor, and we know the monitor works on other machines, so it is most likely the graphics card or the logic board.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Jul 4, 2008 at 2:33:59 pm

[Zane Barker] "Sorry but it dose not sound like that at all, it it was the battery the computer wold work fine it would just not keep the time when you turn the computer off.
"

I have had actual instances of battery failure causing the monitor to not fire up on start. The battery does a lot more than just keep the clock running. However, the PMU reset was a good call. i've only had to resort to that once or twice ever, so that solution (and the "reset the PRAM" chestnut) didn't come to mind right away.
In answer to the OP's followup question (and an FAQ besides) here's some info on said battery:

Mac Logic board battery part numbers from different suppliers/mfrs:
Tadiran Lithium Inorganic TL 5101 (purple body)
Radio Shack 23-026 (the Tadiran battery convenient but way more expensive)
NuPower ER 14250 (OWC/macsales.com, others(yellow body))
ABLE 3.6V http://www.mac-battery.com
SAFT LS 14250 C 1/2 AA 3.6 volt

BatteriesPlus, a bateries-only retail shop in many cities carries the Tadiran.

Info on installation The Macintosh Battery web page:

http://www.academ.com/info/macintosh

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 3, 2008 at 6:00:33 am

[jabbar thomas] "The CPU doesn't give me the other clicking and spinning sounds that it usually does as it goes through its routine just before letting me log in. "

That's the hard drive loading the operating system into RAM. The CPU doesn't generally make noise. I would try starting up from your Apple Installation CD and see if your problems aren't hard drive related.

If that doesn't solve it then take your machine to an authorized Apple repair facility. There's no use buying new a new video card or hard drive when you don't know what's wrong.

- Don

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jul 3, 2008 at 6:06:07 am

[Don Greening] " I would try starting up from your Apple Installation CD and see if your problems aren't hard drive related. "

If the computer was having a hard time accessing the hard drive then you would get a gray screen with a ? on it.

He is getting NO image at all.

Best thing to do is sign up at your local apple store and let them take a look at it, they can determine for sure what is wrong.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 3, 2008 at 6:08:41 am

[Zane Barker] "Best thing to do is sign up at your local apple store and let them take a look at it, they can determine for sure what is wrong."

Agreed.

- Don

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Jul 3, 2008 at 4:01:11 pm

Thanks everybody for the help. My buddy Tangier (he's on another forum) told me how to fix it. I unplugged the power cord, pressed the PMU reset switch on the logic board (just above the battery), waited 10 seconds, then rebooted. Worked like a charm!

Thanks everybody!
Jabbar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]