MAC OS X: Forum

Problem (?) installing OS 10.5.2

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Landman
Problem (?) installing OS 10.5.2
on Jun 28, 2008 at 7:38:13 am

I'm trying to update the OS on my dual 2.0 GHz G5 from OS 10.4.9 to 10.5.2. After running the installer, I tried to run the disk utility program to repair permissions before trying to run software update. The repair permissions routine quickly got to about 15% completed and then just froze. It remained in the same spot for 15 minutes before I quit repair permissions.

To make a long story short, I ended up reformatting the drive and tried installing on the blank drive and ended up with the same results. I even tried installing the OS on an external firewire drive and it did the same thing.

I'm concerned about trying to install FCP studio 2 on a disk where I'm unable to repair permissions.

I've been using Macs since OS 7 (maybe even OS 6), so I've done plenty of OS upgrades. In all that time I've never seen anything like this. I tried disconnecting all external devices (well, except when I tried putting the OS on a firewire drive), checking for firmware updates and just about anything short of standing on my head facing toward Cupertino. I've been so tired lately I'm probably just suffering from a brain-fart and overlooking something simple, but I can't think of what it would be.

Does anyone who knows more about this stuff than me (and that should be LOTS of people) have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Problem (?) installing OS 10.5.2
on Jun 29, 2008 at 1:12:44 am

Disk permission in Leopard takes a LOT longer then it ever did in prevues versions of the OS. Give it more time and see if it finishes.

Oh and the 10.5.3 update did fix some issues in disk utility.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]