MAC OS X: Forum

syncing folders suggestions very welcome!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmossyncing folders suggestions very welcome!
by on Jun 23, 2008 at 12:21:59 pm

Hi there

I have an external drive which I use to transfer large video projects from my desktop to laptop and backwards and forwards.
It hasnt worked very well since I sometimes have new media on my laptop or desktop that is newer than on the external drive, and sometimes the external drive version is newest...

I desparately need a syncing programme that is smart enough to only overwrite older files and not replace entire folders regardless of contents (like OSX does natively)

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tx
Mark.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: syncing folders suggestions very welcome!
by on Jun 24, 2008 at 4:13:14 am

Why not just keep it always on the external and then just work off of that from both the desktop and laptop. That way you are always accessing the data from the SAME place, thus no syncing required.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Mark PalmosRe: syncing folders suggestions very welcome!
by on Jun 24, 2008 at 6:07:34 am

Hi Zane,
yeah, that is probably the smartest way...

in the last day ive bought http://www.econtechnologies.com'>chronosync which is a very good app for syncing on osx, seems to work very well.

also ive bought a lacie 2gb esata firewire800 usb2 raid 5 box which will do as you suggest, though i will still do some syncing where i have to work locally, for example on the train where i will not be able to use the lacie box.

cheers mate
mark

Return to posts index

Mark PalmosChronosync HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
by on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:35:51 am

what a great programme...
if you need to sync, have a very good look at this one... only $30 and well worth it.
you can do it in an easy mode or create rules and save the project so you can run the same parameters whenever you want, and you can even schedule when to run them... excellent.

Return to posts index

Dustin LauRe: Chronosync HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
by on Aug 25, 2010 at 10:01:26 am

You can actually just use terminal, I'm not a linux geek but it's not really as hard as it seems.

the command is
rsync -avr --progress --exclude '*Render Files*' --delete /your/source/directory /your/destination/directory

I'll break it down for you

rsync
is the command that is being run

-avr
are switches that specify how the command works

a= archive (so files are copied with the same settings on the destination as the source)
v= verbose (so you have detailed error messages if any)
r= recursive (so files within folders are also copied)

--progress
so you know the status of the backup and which file is currently being copied

--exclude
so you can exclude folders that don't need to be backed up

'*Render Files*'
because folders like Audio Render Files and Render Files have a space between them, we enclose them within ' so that the command does not interpret the space as a cue to look for the next "switch".

The * is a wildcard operand which means all files and folders which contain the phrase 'Render Files' will be ignored, regardless of what is behind or in front of the phrase itself. The location of the * indicates whether the wildcard applies before or after the phrase.

example
'*Render Files' will detect Audio Render Files but not Render Files for GFX
'Render Files*' will detect Render Files for GFX but not Audio Render Files

--delete
This makes the backup a direct mirror of the source at the time of the backup. For example your source contains 2 folders, Project Runway and Drag Race. You finish the Project Runway project and trash the folder.

if --delete is enabled, the backup will also delete Project Runway from the destination, hence the term direct mirror. If you want it to retain files, then do not include --delete.

Bear in mind that if you move files around on your source in between backups you may end up with multiple copies of the same files in their old and new locations.

Can get messy, so to be safe, rsync without --delete, but when your source folder is organized exactly the way you want, add --delete so the correct/organized version is mirrored and the extra/misplaced files are deleted.

An easy way to get your directory locations is to drag the folder into the terminal, the proper location will show up.

You can also download Lingon (google it) which can help you schedule this to run automatically with a number of different triggers.

http://www.luminoir.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]