MAC OS X: Forum

Leopard sluggish..suggestions for streamlining?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
Leopard sluggish..suggestions for streamlining?
on Jun 6, 2008 at 1:54:28 am

Recently upgraded from 10.5.11 on a quad 3.0 GHz to Leopard on an octo-2.8 GHz, and Leopard is noticeably sluggish in comparison. Exact same apps are installed as before, drive was wiped clean before install, and there just seem to be hesitations that weren't there before. Not so much in applications but definitely at the finder level.

Wondering if there are any ways to streamline the OS, turn off things running in the background that I don't need, etc. Tips welcome-

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Leopard sluggish..suggestions for streamlining?
on Jun 11, 2008 at 2:18:20 am

Man, it's really funny you mention this as my OS has suddenly slowed down on the finder level as well. It's very strange. Activity monitor reports nothing but a 'kernel_task" when it temporarily freezes.

Do you get it when you are in column view navigating through the finder?

Do you get it when you move files from one folder to another?

DO you get it when throw something in the trash or empty the trash?

I have considered upgrading to 10.5.3 (from 10.5.2) to see if it fixes it.

Today I tried reinstalling Adobe CS3 to see if that was the problem as I needed to do that anyway, but it didn't work.

I downloaded a cache cleaner and spotlight rebuilder and that didn't work.

I ran all the maintenance crons or whatever they're called, repaired permissions, used the disk utility, nothing worked.

Let me know what you find out if you find anything out.

The good news is that everything seems to work just fine, it's just navigating through the finder is painfully slow.

I'm on a 2007 8Core 3Ghz w/16GB RAM. OS 10.5.2 QT 7.4.5

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]