MAC OS X: Forum

Powerbook - Dead Hard Drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Powerbook - Dead Hard Drive
on May 14, 2008 at 3:42:52 pm

The hard drive in my G4 Powerbook just went belly-up. Is this something I can replace myself, or should I have a qualified technician do it? I have successfully swaped out components in my MacPro, so I am reasonably tech-savy.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Powerbook - Dead Hard Drive
on May 14, 2008 at 3:51:21 pm

hello...

well - i can't answer if you can replace it, but if you look at these steps

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111925

and you feel comfortable enough doing that, then i'd say go for it...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 15, 2008 at 2:35:27 am

Those are steps for the old Titanium power books. To replace the drive on newer powerbooks it is quite a bit more difficult. And if it is a 12" powerbook then it is even more difficult. And you must have the right size tork screw drivers.

I am of the opinion that it is best to have a certified technician do the work. That way if a mistake is make that damages the computer any further, they are the ones held responsible.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Ron Coy
on May 30, 2008 at 4:47:05 pm

He said it's a G4 Powerbook. It woudn't be that difficult, and I sure as hell wouldn't pay someone else to do it, unless I was under warranty anyway, and I wouldn't have to pay then...

Go to http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ and check out the step by step instructions (with pictures). If you still feel you can't do it, then pay someone.

I just read the instructions for my G4 Powerbook (Al 15 inch 1.5GHz) and other than keeping the screws in the right places for reassembly, it looks pretty simple. Just make sure you have the right tools... they even tell you which ones to get and you can buy them from that site.

(#0 Phillips screwdriver and a T6 Torx screwdriver, and if possible, a 1.5mm hex wrench in my case...)

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 30, 2008 at 4:55:23 pm

[Ron Coy] "He said it's a G4 Powerbook. It woudn't be that difficult,"

It may not be hard but I have still seen people damage other components that end up costing a LOT more because they didn't know what they were doing.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]