MAC OS X: Forum

too hot?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alantoo hot?
by on May 11, 2008 at 12:36:04 am

My dual 1 gig G4 quicksilver 2002 seems to be running hotter than usual. The two internal drives are at 51 and 54 degrees C. It always has run hot and this is at the upper limit of the manufacturer’s suggested “ambient” temperature range. Is this the same as what ‘smart’ detection tells me?

However, I also have had three kernel panics in the last couple of weeks. Never a good sign. How can I tell if any internal fan has died? Is it ok to open the case while it is running so I can see?

All the components of the G4 were replaced in the last month of its warranty, which would have been April 2005. A fan had died and all the components were fried. But here we are 3 years since then.

Don’t want a repeat. I know its time for a new Mac. But I am in the middle of some projects that I need to finish.

OSX 10.4.11; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; G5 dual 2.5 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: too hot?
by on May 11, 2008 at 12:54:12 am

hello...

you can most definitely open up the case and then boot it up and watch what happens - might also keep it cooler in an emergency if you needed to just get through a project...

sitruc

Return to posts index

craig alanRe: too hot?
by on May 11, 2008 at 1:10:29 am

Thanks.

do those temps seem too hot? can i install a better or extra fan? I'm thinking of taking the second drive out and putting it in a firewire enclosure instead.

i'm runng CCC now. When done I'll open the case and have a look see.

OSX 10.4.11; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; G5 dual 2.5 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2008 at 1:20:35 am

hello...

if the temps are within their acceptable range then i'd say it's ok - fans will also whir more when the cpu is working harder because of lots of processing, so that could be a culprit - you might get some better temps if you move one of the drives out, but i can't say how much...

one thing to consider is the air around them as well - in my house, my pc (not the mac in this case, but still a relevant example) will run fans at a very high rate if the temp in the house gets above about 77F (25C) - if i keep the house cooler, they calm back down...so if it's hot where they are, maybe try an external fan, and also make sure that all the air vents to the fan and the box are clear of dust (canned air is your friend for this)...that can be a typical culprit as well.

and i wouldn't go messing with a different fan option - the one they have in there (assuming that it's working as it should) will be what is best for the system...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: too hot?
by on May 11, 2008 at 1:32:13 am

Thanks. It's funny how you know this stuff until something is wrong.

one more quickie. If I open the case, How can i tell if the fan is working or just idle since the temp will be cooler with the case open?

I know the temps got hotter when I installed the second drive. They rest right on top of each other in the quicksilver.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2008 at 1:48:48 am

hello...

leave the cover on until you think it's hot and then take it off - you should be able to see it running then...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2008 at 7:00:30 am

Okay. So I open computer and watch it run for a bit. The temperature of drives drop into the 30s — 20 degrees cooler.

The fan just over the hard drives which blows air out the multi-hole panel out the back is working fine. The fan next to the heat sink is running. But there is a round port out the back right above the plug that is blowing out hardly anything and it looks like a fan port. Then the computer dies. After a minute, I reboot it but it starts to smell like burning components from the power supply area. My guess is it’s the power supply and its built in fan died. Does that make sense? Would faulty power supply cause kernel panics?

Do you think it’s worth replacing? Is it do it yourself-able?

The last thing I did was a CCC clone to an external drive. So it could be worse but I have serious work to do.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2008 at 5:42:05 pm

hello...

i would definitely probably have somebody look at it if you do smell burning... :-/

in a pc world, i'd say you can probably find your own replacement parts, but in a mac world, i've always tended to let them take care of things - but that's not to say that you can't do it yourself...

i don't think this is your system, but they haven't changed a ton over the recent years, so these videos might give you a good place to start if you were doing this yourself..

https://depot.info.apple.com/generic/index.html

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2008 at 6:15:39 pm

Thanks. I found an apple video that shows how to replace power supply on my G4. It's a $200 part so I'd like to know its worth it. Any advice on a new model Mac. Been a while since I bought one. I do FCP SD and HDV, other than that pretty routine stuff.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2008 at 6:46:48 pm

hello...

[craig alan] "Any advice on a new model Mac."

nothing that would be of any use -they are all very good, so it's sorta up to you as to if you want to spend and, if so, how much you want to spend...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: too hot?
by on May 12, 2008 at 3:42:53 am

[craig alan] "It's a $200 part so I'd like to know its worth it. "

In my opinion based on how old your computer is NO.

You are talking about a 6 year old computer, anything that is currently being sold is going to be a bit improvement.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Wayne VollweilerRe: too hot?
by on May 12, 2008 at 6:34:13 pm

Except that you might not want your computer to fry before you finish your projects. Yous hould be able to 1) get your $200 back if you decide to sell the computer. Remember, without a power supply, it's worth nothing. 2) Keep the machine running as a back up or graphics station. Well worth the $200 investment. you can't replace any computer for $200. Just my opinion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]